Need E string suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by hensonbass, Sep 22, 2004.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a 7/8 Prescott bass with 92 Flexicor strings that I play for orchestra gigs only and it sounds really great except the E string doesn't 'pop' like the A str. The E seems to have a little less tension and while it produces enough overall volume it lacks in the initial attack of the bow stroke and doesn't have a little 'edge' like the tone of the A str. It sort of sounds like I'm playing the bass pedals on an organ when I bow on the E string.

I'd rather not go to the extreme and get a spirocore E. I was thinking maybe the Permanent or maybe a forte Jargar? I'm so close to nailing the string combination on this bass. What do you guys think?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Get a thick Flexocor E.
    It'd be the closest to the other strings, in terms of tone, and you'll get the punch and volume which lacks in the medium one.
  3. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    When I had my bass strung with Flexocore 92s, I did not like the E string either. I actually used a D'darrio Helicore orchestra on my low string. I really am not a big Helicore fan at all, but I liked the E string, because it does not roll...AT ALL. I was always able to get a clean start and a good pop with my bow. I hated the other Helicores for everything else, though. Hope it helps.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with Francois, a Flexocore Thick should give you plenty of volume and match up better to the rest of the strings. You could even try a Dominant E. A little clearer than the Flexocores.
  5. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    On my old bass I used Obligatos, but had the same problem with the E, so I switched between Spirocore and Helicore for the E. I found the Spirocore actually matched the tone better.

I just bought a new bass yesterday, and the shop I bought it at didn't have a huge selection of strings, so I asked for Dominants. They must not have had an extended E in Dominants, because I picked it up and it has a Spirocore E on it. I've been playing all day, and it works great.

I don't like Spirocores in general, but the E strings have always served me well.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Agreed. The Spirocore E is one of the best E's around. Always consistant.