Need E string suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by hensonbass, Sep 22, 2004.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a 7/8 Prescott bass with 92 Flexicor strings that I play for orchestra gigs only and it sounds really great except the E string doesn't 'pop' like the A str. The E seems to have a little less tension and while it produces enough overall volume it lacks in the initial attack of the bow stroke and doesn't have a little 'edge' like the tone of the A str. It sort of sounds like I'm playing the bass pedals on an organ when I bow on the E string.

I'd rather not go to the extreme and get a spirocore E. I was thinking maybe the Permanent or maybe a forte Jargar? I'm so close to nailing the string combination on this bass. What do you guys think?

2. Get a thick Flexocor E.
    It'd be the closest to the other strings, in terms of tone, and you'll get the punch and volume which lacks in the medium one.

3. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    When I had my bass strung with Flexocore 92s, I did not like the E string either. I actually used a D'darrio Helicore orchestra on my low string. I really am not a big Helicore fan at all, but I liked the E string, because it does not roll...AT ALL. I was always able to get a clean start and a good pop with my bow. I hated the other Helicores for everything else, though. Hope it helps.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with Francois, a Flexocore Thick should give you plenty of volume and match up better to the rest of the strings. You could even try a Dominant E. A little clearer than the Flexocores.

5. Brian K

Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    On my old bass I used Obligatos, but had the same problem with the E, so I switched between Spirocore and Helicore for the E. I found the Spirocore actually matched the tone better.

I just bought a new bass yesterday, and the shop I bought it at didn't have a huge selection of strings, so I asked for Dominants. They must not have had an extended E in Dominants, because I picked it up and it has a Spirocore E on it. I've been playing all day, and it works great.

I don't like Spirocores in general, but the E strings have always served me well.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Agreed. The Spirocore E is one of the best E's around. Always consistant.