1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need electrician/roofer advise

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Soverntear, May 7, 2010.

1. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    Hey everyone,

So a few months (right before winter)back i went in to my bathroom to discover that my ceiling was leaking out of my light socket. I called my landlord and she had some guys come in to look at what was causing it, they said the chimney was and did the "repairs" and billed her a hefty sum of money.

Today i come home after work to find the same problem, this is the first good storm we have had since the repairs were done. so im just curious what sort of damage to be expected. im also wondering how much electrical damage this COULD do to the house? I've kept the light off in the bathroom since i got home and put down the bucket below it, anything else i should be doing?

2. Turn the breaker off, double check that it is off, take the socket out, see what is all wet up in there. Maybe hop up in your attic when the rain is over and take a look around. If you don't know what you are looking for, call a friend that does.

lowsound

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    electrically speaking, once it dries out, it'll be fine.

4. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    The other issue is water damage like that left unchecked can cause mold issues in that area. Repair the roof leak and ventilate the area and inspect for any mold issues. If the leak is recent mold may not have had a chance spread.

5. Is it one of those light fixtures that has a built in fan? If so, sometimes in a windy storm, the vent cover can get blown open and let rain blow in thru the plastic vent pipe.

6. It would be helpful to kill the power to that fixture and take a quick look above it with a flashlight to see if you can spot a water trail while it's wet. Sometimes wind blows water into odd places, and it can be hard to find the leak once it dries out.

7. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    update, so the water stopped about 10 min after the storm. I'm going to be re-drywalling the celing in my bathroom after the roofers come. thanks for the tips. avoided me screwing up anything :p