Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED EMERGENCY HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by adrian garcia, Feb 14, 2003.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Hello fellow bassists- i have a dilemma- i am mainly an electric player and i recently auditioned for an upcoming Cirque du Soleil production in Vegas- i have made the last cut and now they are asking me to submit a couple of piece of "minimalistic" playing on some type of upright- i will attempt it on an electric upright- thing is , i need advice on the best way to prepare fo this asap- i need to submit a recording by next week- and i dont even own an EURB - i have my eye on an NS design since they have markers on the fingerboard and i need all the help i can get here- in a nutshell, Im praying to the Lord that i can bs my way thru this and get the gig and just shed the heck out of the URB- so, as a crash course- any suggestions on preparing for something i shouldve prepared a lifetime for?? i NEED this gig!!! thanks....

2. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Gee, a week isn't very long to learn UB. It doesn't have to be bowed right?

If it's just a tape you have to send, you might try marking the fingerboard with tape on each spot you need to hit.

Other then that I guess I would just play the piece over and over again untill it was recognizable.

Sorry, this probobly isn't much help.

Good luck.

Gabe

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Have you seen Cirque De Soleil productions? I think when they whip out the big bass, its usually a tone monster, but not much playing - more of an effect. So I would get a great tone with an EURB and learn a few decent lines within your means. I don't think, from what you describe, that they are looking for anyting virtuouso, but you should sound like you know what you are doing, so don't try the fancy stuff (hell I don't try the fancy stuff after 4 years)

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    lermgalieu
    you are exactly right- they want texture and effect-- not too many notes- they say minimalistic- intonation, of course , is paramount.. that is why im even considering this- i have dabbled before , im not completely alien to it-- im searching for an ns design because they have helpful dots on the board- but i need it today!! no time to wait for shipping onmonday- not even overnight- so im waititng for the stores to open-- this is crazy...but the best ggigs ive ever had have come from jumping into the deep end of the pool and going for it !!

5. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    unfortunately, the intonation is really hard - hopefully you have good pitch? but good luck man, sounds like a great gig!

6. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    A good chromatic tuner will help a lot in finding your notes. I think you'll find that if you stay in the lower positions and mark the G (E string) on the side of the fingerboard with a small dot, you may be able to squeek by OK. Intonation is less critical on the lower positions because your string length is changing less with small finger position changes.

Good luck.

7. Adrian, with your experience you'll walk it. It's not that hard, when I started on DB 13 years ago, I was given one week by my bandleader and then played three and four gigs a week.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    man, I hope so!! i sent in the stuff, now im agonizing waiting to hear back from them-- :meh: