1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need EMG35 size pup that is TRANSPARENT!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Sep 16, 2008.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I defretted my Ibanez ASB140 Semihollow. No digital camera, but here's an example:

Removed the face dots as well. Filled the slots and dot holes with a mix of rosewood dust and cyano, sanded flush, 180/320/400/600grit, deepened nut slots. Replaced stock strings with TI Jazz flats and placed a small block of foam under the strings just in front of the bridge. Will soon add a 5-ply black pickguard. I love the acoustic sound, but the stock pickup isn't all that, so I'm going to be replacing it. I need a pup that fits in an EMG35 rout.

Let me clarify the bit about "acoustic sound:... this is not a full hollowbody, but there is a definite diffeence between this bass and a solidbody when I play unplugged in my room. It has a very uprightish quality with a bit of mwah -it's a sound that I can use for several types of music. That's the sound I want on most of my gigs. Setting aside for a moment the issue of amps and cabs, what pickup gives me the best chance at simply making the bass sound louder and nothing else?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Piezo elements under the bridge saddles?

3. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

+1

4. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    That's a great idea, but I'm not sure how I'd make that happen. If you could see more closely the bridge I'm working with, you'd understand.

I'm bumping this because I want everyone who saw it to understand that I'm not looking for absolute perfection, but the most transparent emg35 pickup I can buy.

People... it isn't that hard to do. Just post the most transparent pickup you know of in that size.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That's probably be the resized Q-Tuners (pics not yet up, but dimensional drawing are), or possibly what SGD Lutherie or AGI are working on.

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/pages/products.html

Neo pups

Pickups in the clips sound pretty good to me. But hey, what IS transparent? Once you plug in to one of the hundreds of amps/pres, the sound again gets colored.

I'd get some for my Spector, but, idk if they'll work with my BQC electronics.

...............................Calling Mr SGD

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Have you thought about Nordstrand (DC, MM or BigSplit?)

M

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I keep hearing about these EMG sized Q-Tuners being new...

I have a three year old set of BL-4 Q-Tuners here, and they are exactly the same size as an EMG-35. Maybe he changed them, and then changed them back again?

But yeah, I make EMG-35 size too. :)

They will work fine with a BQC, as long as you change your volume and blend pots to 500K

Here's some clips I just recorded yesterday, with the pickup running through an EMG BTC preamp. Interestingly, when it's bypassed it sounds the same as when it's set flat. Active/flat has slightly less mids, but I was expecting a bigger difference between the active and passive setting.

Here's the neck, with the with the lows slightly boosted on the EMG BTC, and then a lot of low boost with the highs rolled off, and near the end I crank up the highs. At the very end I’m playing with a pick.

Neo Neck

The bridge pickup, same deal as the neck:

Neo Bridge

Here’s both pickups mixed 50/50. Once again a slight low and high boost.

Both

These do sound like what ever bass they are in. My bolt on has a different vibe with the same pickups. More earthy.

David~