Need encouragement to finish uni!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by addylewis, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Doing a music degree...nearly finished... - been at the same place for 6 years now...getting sick of it and depressed...(you've seen Van Wilder right?)

...I'm at the point now where I just wanna get out there making music - don't give a flying monkeys about what marks I get as long as I get it done...

Encourage me to get some good grades in the 13 weeks I've got left...its not as if you GET into a working band or GET session work if you've got a degree is it? - you get them if you can play regardless of any pieces of fancy paper right???
  2. If you've been doing it for 6 years, there's no point giving up in the last couple of months. In the long run, the benefits of having said fancy bit of paper will probably justify the 13 weeks of effort. In fact, it must be less than that, since Easter holidays are just round the corner, no?
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

A college degree, any degree, has been shown to be worth far more money over a lifetime than what one typically earns without a degree. I think I read recently that it is worth on average a million dollars more over a worker's lifetime than not having a degree.

And that doesn't even matter if you needed only thirteen more weeks to earn a degree. Employers don't ask how short you are of a degree. In fact, they might think you are unstable or flighty if you drop out with only thirteen weeks to go.

Please, please finish the degree. What is thirteen weeks compared to the rest of your life? Having a degree will open so many more doors for you than dropping out of the university will provide. I know folks often say, "I can always go back," but so often life has a way of interfering and one never goes back. Do it now. Get it done. Your music career can wait three months.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You've been working on a degree for six years, and with a few months left you want to quit? You want to literally throw away six years of school?

No one cares about a "partial" degree. You either have a degree or you don't - if you throw in the towel now, you will be just another slacker college drop-out in the eyes of others, regardless of the hard work you've put in thus far.

Just stick to it!
  5. Wouldn't the piece of paper help if you wanted to teach music? It must give you some sort of credentials.

When I was at cooking school years ago, there was a guy who quit just a few weeks before the end of the program. I don't understand that. All that time invested, not to mention money, and then have nothing to show for it.

Believe me, I know how it feels to be sick of school. I'm sure you'll get through the next 13 weeks. Hang in there!
  6. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    What degree are you getting after 6 years of study? Are you getting your Masters degree? If not, did you switch majors somewhere along the line? Just curious... What is your concentration? Will your degree be in performance or education? Is it in composition or history?

PS. If I were you, I would absolutely complete the degree.
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    A degree helps regardless of what it's in. At my company that mainly does IT work, we have folks of various educational backgrounds, but almost none without a degree.

As far as the world of music, it's easier to ask for paid rehearsals and get more money for a gig if you're an educated professional than a weekend warrior who "plays by ear". Also, a music degree helps you to get connected with other serious musicians. You may or may not know it, but music school is a great place to network, because you never know when or where opportunity strikes. Sure you don't need a degree for a bar gig, but it helps for other gigs like orchestras.

A degree isn't a guarantee to success in music, but it can be an edge over the competition and is another tool to put in your tool box.

As far as motivation.......
    I'll take the "rigors" of academic life over the 9-5 world any day.
  8. My BA hasn't helped me a bit, lol, but I am still glad I did it!!! You will be too! Education is good!
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This thread reminds me of Tommy Boy.

Tommy: A lot of people go to college for seven years.
    Richard: Yeah, they're called doctors.

DOH!! :eek:

10. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Amen, big +1

Don't take what you have for granted. There's no crying about grades or getting extensions on a 9-5.

No test retakes, no easy A's.

It's for real. And it sucks, take it from me, I've got the just-outta-college-under-a-year-ago, supporting-my-girlfriend-on-a-short-income blues.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Like Bill Gates, Paul Allen, David Geffen, Steve Wozniak, and Steve Jobs. :D

Your point is well taken, really. These guys are the exception to the norm.

12. I'm having the same feeling's at the moment, too, so I understand what you mean.

My whole life completely revolves around school. One firend told me that I live for the weekends, but even they revolves around school.

I'm sure it's no different for everyone in life, though (except for retiree's and dole-bludgers). I guess the trick is to get a job that you love.

Society sucks. I just want to play bass.
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You kiddos really need to quit whining. I seriously do not remember whining like this when I was in school. My dad would have slapped me. :D

School only lasts 12 years, four or five more if you go to college. You know what happens after that?

FORTY PLUS years of working, and NO recesses. :D

14. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Yep, it's no different than work in that respect.

I've learned a lot since starting work from a Singaporian girl (and no, it has nothing to do with caning).

Her ethic is extraordinary. While the rest of us are getting up wandering around for stretch breaks whenever we have free moments, she's studying for the GRE to get into grad school for a speech pathology master's.

Her words of wisdom?

"Just grit your teeth and do it."

She's a looker, too. It is possible to excel, you just have to know what goes into that, and for a lot of us, it's just a little too much for our self-indulgent neediness to handle. ;)
  15. Heh, that's cute.

I'm two days into a four year music course at Grown Ups School and, while it's already been really tough and draining, I'm absolutely determined to keep going. Even if the rest of the year is like what I'm experiencing in my first week. I'm not sure why, but I started the degree, so I might as well finish it.

Eh, I'm just tired.
  16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    This is what will happen if you dont finish.

Pretty damned CLEAR.

You can do it!!!!!!!!

17. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Another thing is that you only have 13 weeks left.

What other significant accomplishment can you do in 13 weeks that will be as significant as getting your degree? Even if you were to start your music career, it will take more than 13 weeks to get it up and running.

13 weeks is nothing compared to what you will have accomplished. A college degree is something that families save up their entire lives for. An education is a reason why some leave their country and face tough situations in a foreign place. A degree is the reason why some sell their possessions and work extra jobs. Many value it enough to make some big sacrifices, so 13 weeks is a breeze compared to what others go through.

You have a great opportunity, sieze it and make the most of it.
  18. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Here's a link that highlights the difference between college and the real world.

Sure you want to leave?
  19. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    c'mon dude. you've come this far, don't quit now. finish with a bang, not a whimper.
  20. I know I;ve got to complete it but I've just been at the same place for 6 years and its getting me down...

I started off at the place doing a BTEC first diploma (one year - "gets you 4 GCSE's that you need to do the national diploma" year) Then I did the National probs, it was fun... - THEN I went onto the degree at the SAME PLACE! Bloody rediculous - I'm in the "Guinnae pig" year, just 2 days before I had to hand in my final application (going to college coz the other 2-3 places I tried wouldn't let me in for my sightreading and theory not being brilliant) all these notices suddenly popped up "Sheffield uni is pulling the plug on all degrees accredited to them taught outside of Sheffield" - BUMMER!

I applied anyway not even knowing if there was going to be a degree (much less a BA honours) for me to go on to. They got a degree sorted for everyone who they'd accepted - brand new - the uni they're doing it for had never done anything outside of the uni before so the teachers are writing it as they're going along.

We're not allowed any retakes or anything, we've got to pass every bloody assignment first time or we get the boot, and on top of that I've got to learn 3 solo pieces, 4 "group" pieces, figure out what I'm doing for 3 "Improvisation" pieces, write an 8-minute long piece for some film and get it recorded, teach 3 1 hour lessons in a school and write 2500 words about it, write a 5000 word dissertation...

...I've been at it solidly ever since school with no years out or anything...can you see how after the first year (which I absolutely poured my guts into only to find it was quite easy) I have been doing it all half-arsed? - I'm 23 in july...thats nearly 19 years bam-bam-bam in a row without any breaks or anything - just hard slog :spit: :spit: :spit: