1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need EQ help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GroovinOnFunk, Apr 10, 2010.

1. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Hey guys,

I just recently got an amp that has a graphic eq (it's a Carvin R600) and I'm also thinking about getting a Boss Bass Equalizer. So I'm wondering, what are frequencies I should accent or cut back on for a good funky slap tone?

What sort of shape should my equalizer look like? High lows, low-low mids, low-high mids, high highs? like a U shape? I really don't know.

Thanks.

2. If your R600 has a 9 band EQ why do you want to buy an equalizer pedal?

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You defo don't need two graphic EQ's at the same time. Unless maybe the EQ on the head can be switched on/off with a footswitch--in that case you would switch off the amp EQ when you want to switch on the pedal EQ, so you'd have two different settings that way.

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If you use the EQ pedal to shape your tone and then boost it to drive your preamp and then your amp's EQ to have the amp respond more naturally then 2 EQs can be useful.

...but if you're asking about an eq pedal 'for a good slap tone' or 'what sort of shape should [your] equalizer LOOK like' then I would wait to spend any money on EQ pedals until you learn how to work your rig.

If you're looking to get a pedal I would suggest a phaser...perhaps the EHX Worm, as it's affordable, sounds awesome after an OC-2 and Q-tron, and you can notch it put and use it like a tone effect. Certainly useful...but of course that's just me poking at your profile.

Pedal EQ is great if you use it like a proper tool, but until you learn for yourself how to get a great slap tone an EQ will just be another toy.

Use your knob EQ for your amp tone and your graphic EQ to equalize your overall output when you take it somewhere else.

EQ pedal is for tone shaping pre-rig, and can cut out a lot of self-competing tone so that you can push the overall level (setting your sliders above detent on consumer-grade gear rarely sounds as good (hi-fi) as attenuating frequencies and boosting overall level)

A nice compressor to peak limit will serve you better for slapping than EQ.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Scoop the mids, get a compressor.

7. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Hey guys. Thanks a lot for all the quick responses.

Ok, so my thought to getting an EQ pedal was so that I could set my amp to how I normally play, and then when I decide to step up and solo or slap, then I could flip on a foot pedal easily and get a slight volume boost + eq change. I find that when I'm not playing slap, I don't want to have my mids scooped like that. I usually like having my mids boosted a bit to cut through the mix well. So I wanted to basically be able to scoop my mids just for when I decide to put my thumb to my strings.

I'll just use the suggestions from the EQ owner's manual (thanks a lot for that link) on my own amp. I wish I had a footswitch for it but I don't. Maybe I can just turn around and turn on the graphic eq (with the button on the amp) before songs that I know I'll want a mid-scoop.

I definitely hear what you all are saying though and unless this EQ pedal on ebay stays real cheap, I probably won't get it. Definitely open to all suggestions (like looking into the phaser... thanks for that)

I bought a couple of pedals yesterday actually. Got a LS-2 (line selector) and Digitech multi-chorus.

Today I'm going to get a fuzz pedal.

I don't think I'm going to get a compression pedal because my amp has an onboard compressor that works fine (not GREAT... but fine... and truth is i'm broke). I appreciate any and all money-saving suggestions especially!

8. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Amps' onboard comps are rarely as useful as a good compressor pedal with more than just one knob.

9. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    i understand your point but I just don't like using compressors on stage that much. that's just me.

my initial question was this: what frequencies should I accent or decrease for a good pop/slap tone?

but I do agree the compressor on my amp isn't great. that being said, it's good enough for when I need a compressor (which is not often)

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    My rig is an R1000 which is the same head, just more power. There is a footswitch available from Carvin, I think it's $22 brand new. It turns on/off your EQ and your FX loop.

The compressor on these amps is not good.

11. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    oh awesome, so that would serve the same purpose.

i looked on ebay and couldn't find on. does any carvin footswitch work? does it have to be specifically for the r600?

do I just call carvin and order it from them?

12. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thinking about getting a Line 6 Tone Constrictor... anybody heard good things about this?

Found one for around $30