1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need experienced players help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff David, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Jeff David

Jeff David

Mar 20, 2017
    Hey guys,

I'm a veterant guitar player (30 years of playing) that wants to get a bass for my home studio.
    I never Played bass but I know that I want a 5string bass. (My baritone is tuned in B). I play mostly Metal but i can explorer everything.
    I have a curiosity on slapping.

I have two decent options in the used market and need your advise.
    ESP LTD F155DX
    Ibanez SR405QM

Thanks for helping

Regards

JEff

desertrider71 likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The best advice is always to start playing instruments until you find what you like. What Bill likes may not be what you like...

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You can't trust that Bill, he's got the weirdest tastes... :unsure::cautious:

petey293 and Old Blastard like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Now Charlie, on the other hand, is a great source. But he's not on line right now...

Old Blastard likes this.
  5. Jeff David

Jeff David

Mar 20, 2017
    Beholder, you're funny.

You guys are right. I'm not expecting the answer what to buy.
    I guess that the answer I'm expecting, is witch one could be versatile enough to have a decent tone and versatile enough to play funk and metal.

Or if one of those is garbage

Handman likes this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    I very rarely steer anyone away from Ibanez, always excellent quality...

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Gold Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Buy an Ibanez Mikro 5 stringer, and then eventual swap the pickups if you are not satisfied with the tone.

That is what I would do at least, if I needed a 5 stringer.

They might be small and they might be cheap, but they are amazingly build for the money, in my opinion second to none when it comes to playabillity, and even sounds decent as well with the stock pickups.

Haven't tried a 5 stringer myself, but people claim it to have better pickups than the Mikro 4 stringer.

Personally I use my 4 string Mikro, which I swapped the stock pickups for a pair of Geezer Butler P/J pickups, as my main.

Never owned a bass I am more happy with, and I owned some 1000$+ basses.

No matter what you chose in the end, as mentioned in the thread before, Ibanez makes some incredible high quality basses.

All their basses right from their budget basses to their high end basses are extremely well build compared to the money paid, you can't really go wrong with an Ibanez.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  8. Faceman75

Faceman75

Dec 21, 2015
    Neither one has particularly good electronics, but the Ibanez is probably more versatile.

I know you didn't ask, but take a look at Spector, too

9. RED J

RED J I ain't ready for the junkyard yet. Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    That's an incredibly good suggestion for a guitar player wanting to break into bass.
    Kind of like how I prefer the feel of a 12 string guitar as a bass player.

10. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The SR basses are good value for the money, but the string spacing is quite narrow. That is ok for most things, but i would not recommend it for someone who seeks to begin slapping.

I only gave the ESP a minute because the form was -- interesting. I did not like it, though.

11. I have no first hand knowledge of either but Ibanez have a reputation for slimmer, faster necks. A 5string bass is going to be one completely different animal to what you're used to. I bought a CV strat and tried to go the other way. No way could I get used to the tiny strings packed together like sardines or using a pick.

RedVee and Gaolee like this.
  12. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester

You might be able to find a left-over or used one of these:
    [​IMG]
    Not the usual choice, but I have the four string version, and it's the most versatile bass I own.

13. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    If you want a cheap bass that is good for recording, I'd suggest something passive. Cheap active preamps can be noisy and that's no good in a studio, especially when you compress.

Personally, I would pass on those basses and get a Squier Vintage modified Jazz. Jazz basses are really good for slap and they are used in metal all the time. They take real well to distortion, so a Jbass into a Darkglass pedal would work great for you.

malthumb, Lvjoebass and millertx like this.
  14. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I agree--go passive. I'd suggest checking out a used 5-string Pbass as well. P's are arguably the most no-muss, no-fuss basses for the studio to this day.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  15. Element Zero

Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Ibanez SR505, Schecter Stiletto 5.

desertrider71 and rujulian like this.
  16. rujulian

rujulian Guest

Apr 24, 2014
    The Ibanez Sr405 is a nice bass..the Sr505 is even nicer and you can usually find one on the used market for a decent price..
    I own three Ibanez basses, all active, and the preamp/electronics are dead silent and sound great..
    No experience with anything from ltd/esp so I can't comment on it..

Another option is buying a four string and tuning it bead..

17. Jeff David

Jeff David

Mar 20, 2017
    Down tuning a 4 string bass into a B need to get bigger gauge of strings I guess. Does that mean I need to adjust something else?

By the way, you guys are awesome. So many honest replies in short notice. This site Rocks!

Now I need to digest all these answers and check to see the best alternative in that case.

You guys seam to agree that maybe I should look for a 4 strings and to downturn it if I want to play slapping and metal in B. Does my first conclusion makes sense? I sense that slapping on a 5 string is a nightmare. Am I right?

NoiseNinja likes this.
  18. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    between those two, Ibanez.. Great value..!
    Regards
    Mark

19. The Rage

The Rage

Nov 12, 2013
    For me, you should try the instruments and pick the one you enjoy the most and feel most comfortable.
    Once you got two pickups, onboard eq, amp eq, possibility to change strings and pickup, and pay attention to your touch, you only need to spend a lot time with one instrument to know it well and find the right mix of things that leads to lots of sounds usable for various situations, always IMHO

By the way, I like Ibanez^^

I downtuned my Spector to C. I'm using strings from a five string set tuned half step up, but needed to replace the nut

Sorry for my english^^

Jhengsman likes this.
  20. Jeff David

Jeff David

Mar 20, 2017
    I can't try both. There owners selling them and they live in a 2 hours driving from each other (opposite direction from myself). I would have tried them if they were closer.

Ibanez definitely wins between both.

Now, I'm just not sure if I should get a 5 strings... unless I buy the Ibanez at first, and get a Squier or Rickenbacker later if I really dig playing bass