1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need fast advice on amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otto B, Mar 31, 2009.

1. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    I am looking to get a bass amps but I undecided. I need yours opinions. Here are my 2 choices.

1: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T 600 Watt Lightweight Bass (new)

Or this rig, which only has being used for 2 years and it looks like new.

2: Gallien-Krueger 800RB Bass Amp
    David Eden D-410T Bass Speaker Cabinet (4 x 10" drivers + tweeter horn)
    David Eden D118XL Bass Speaker Cabinet (18" Speaker)

Both are the same price. I have heard good reviews on both of the brands, but I have not yet heard them. But I need to decide by tomorrow morning. What do you all think I should go with???
    I own a Roscoe SKB5. and I play at church, we play all types of music

2. Anyone would be daft to tell you what to do... i'm not a huge fan of any of these amps, but millions of people are... you need to play through them both see what you like! you might love the amp you didn't buy...

But at least have a look on youtube, get some sound clips !

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    The second rig is going to be about seven times louder and seven times harder to move. They're not exactly in the same league. I'd think about your needs and applications.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The difference between the speaker cabinets is like the difference between a small car and a bus. The amount of volume from the Eden cabinets will be far beyond anything that a single 12 can put out. If it's volume you need, you have an answer right there.

The 118 may be nice, but I'm not a fan of 18s.

As for the sound of the actual amp heads, they're quite different. However, you can always use the cabs with a different head.

You still have to listen to decide which works for you. As for youtube clips, most of the stuff could have plenty of additional processing, so you might not hear the actual tone of the rig. Plug in to it and listen.

5. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    That is the one thing I have a concern how big it is. This set will be in my house for practice and maybe I may use it outside playing on another church. What I am also looking is the price; they are both at $1,100. With the Eden rig the original cost is about $2,500 new for that price vs. just get a 1x12 plus an amp for the same price but lighter. What I am looking really is an amp that can sound good and clear and at high volume it can handle the lows of my B string. And don't have the speakers do distortion. This Genz Benz put out 300 watts I think that is plenty for me. What do you all think?

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As far as these threads between two amps, this is probably the biggest difference between the two. The Shuttle is lightweight, and a combo, the GK/Eden is massive. Although both are top notch, they are so different, only your ears can decide. I think the biggest factor is the size/weight, but I like a big heavy rig, so I'd choose the GK/Eden.

7. While I have no problem with the low B with my 800rb (especially using the 800rb's biamp mode) the GB amp head will give better fundemental B string performance. The 800rb was designed at the time of standard tuned 4 strings to cut through the mix instead of rummbling the stage.
    I don't like to sway anyone from G-K but the GB sounds like a better fit for you and the G-K/Eden rig may be priced a little high? Don't know the value of the Eden's but if you pay over $400 for a used 800rb it better be in perfect shape?

8. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    the entired rig new would cost about $2,500, It's being offert it to me for $1,100.

9. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    Well I after testing the Eden rig, I decided that was not the sound and size that I was looking for so I when and bought the Genz Benz neo 112 300 Watts cavinet

10. $2500 retail pricing? I know where to get the amp head for under $650 new. That's why I caution about the value of the "package".

11. I think you made the wise choice just IMO.;)