Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Fast Pic of pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sippy, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey Guys, The wiring diagram from fender is too confusing lol.. can give me a pic of ur P-bass pots wiring?

my tone pot has a White wire on it going to the volume pot, the capacitor on it, and a black wire on a ring that goes around the knob itself.

the Volume pot has one white wire going to the input, one white wire going to the tone pot and another white wire going to the pickups and the capacitor. and a black wire on a ring around the volume knob. This HAS to be wrong. lol it just doesn't look right. If somebody could help me out I'd really appreciate it. :help: :bag:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    can you say what's wrong with the bass, and what you're trying to do?

Are you not getting any sound, is tone pot not working etc?

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Well I would get sound on most amps but not on some... AND the tone pot when I would add more tone (more bass) the volume would get so low you could barely hear it.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    [​IMG]

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Marleys Ghost.. I said Vintage pots! Not the newer MIM models ;)

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Ok now it's really messed up. My dad and I followed the Fender schematics and now nothing works. except you get static if you touch the input, or post where the volume pot connects to the input :(... I would kill for there to be a reputable guitar repair service around my area.

Anybody have any ideas? btw the seymour duncan schematics and fender schematics are totally different.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Here's the way my 1973 Pbass looks inside.

[​IMG]

Let me know if you need more pics. Happy to take them, and I haven't re-assembled my bass yet, in case of.

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey I used my superior drafting skills and 30 seconds to make you this little diagram of my wiring. All red wires shown are white/hot.

Hope it helps a bit.

[​IMG]

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    ok following the schematics from fender, Seymour Duncan and BurningSkies (thanks bro! :) ) .. now both pots work as volume :(

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    actually it's the same as before.. when I turn the volume all the way up.. and the tone all the way down.. you can still barely hear it from the amp.
    with 2 new pots and 1 new capacitor :(

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    can you take photos of what you've done and label them? both the fender and sd diagrams are both correct in that both work, so chances are something has been miswired

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I can.. but we checked and rechecked and rechecked again they are wired perfectly. to those schematics.. in fact we are doing so for the 5th time right now.

14. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well...maybe you do have a pickup problem after all...maybe time to look into that option?

15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Nope :) BurningSkies.. your schematics and pic has you grounding the capacitor on the volume pot.. we did it on the tone pot and everything works fine :) Thank you all for all your help! and Rock on!!!!

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Cool...I was wondering about that while drawing it out...the cap has wires on each side of it, which have no insulation...

Glad it works though, you can tell mine's been through a lot, but the wiring's been solid for the 5 years I used it as my main stage bass.

17. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea bro I really appreciate all your help man.. if we ever meet up I owe you a beer :)