Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need feedback on prototype

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BeauLeopard, Aug 22, 2005.

1. BeauLeopard

BeauLeopard BLDesign Custom Basses

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    This is one of two 5-string basses that I made last year. This design is something that I have slowly refined over many years... this is revision#6 and I'm currently working on #7. Anyway, I'd really appreciate some feedback on what y'all think about it.

Specs:

• neck-maple/wenge with wenge frtbd
    • body-mahogany with shedua top
    • hardware-abm piezo/hipshot tuners
    • elec-active basslines/sd 3 band pre/bart piezo blend
    • knobs-thg
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. it's certainly a beautiful bass. it reminds me of tune 'king' basses of the early nineties. Is that a magnet attached control cavity cover? I've been experimenting with that and I think I'm gonna use it on one of my current instruments.

3. BeauLeopard

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks, I always liked the look of tune basses. The control cavity cover has hidden barrel hinges and a ball catch that snaps it closed. Magnets work well too... I'll probably use magnets to keep the next one closed but keep the hinges.

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I think you're probly done with "prototypes" from looking at this thing.
    Stop showin' off! :smug:
    It's frickin' beautiful, man.

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Beautiful bass. I love the bass clef inlay below the bridge. It's very subtle, yet it adds a certain something to the overall look.

6. BeauLeopard

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    #7 will be the final revision before "production". I'm trying to make the transition from part time, late night, insomniac, hobbyist to full time, during the day, builder. Then hopefully I can get back to actually playing some bass.
    ...I guess I'll still be an insomniac.:D

All of your comments are greatly appreciated.

7. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Wow now that is one nice bass, not seen one like that before but thats probably just my lack of bass design knowledge. Very nice curveture and I like the inlays very much so.

Well good luck with getting more time to play lol

Zet.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    That looks nice! It shares some traits with these: http://www.timtone.com/gallery/SeriesRikiya.html (Not saying you copied, of course. Every bass I've ever seen has borne a resemblance to something.).

Have you arranged for any local stores to carry your line?

9. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I really really like it. Now stop working on basses and finish your website so you can sell some.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow, I really love the inlay above the fretboard. Really is a beautiful bass with resemblances to the Tune basses as mentioned before.

The bass clef is nice and subtle, I love it.

11. BeauLeopard

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Ah, a fellow Rochestarian!

I actually haven't heard of Timtone until now. They're quite nice and I can see some similarities, mainly in the shape of the upper bout.

I'll be talking to Northfield Music and The Music Store very soon but there isn't much of a market for custom basses in Rochester as far as I know. Most of my marketing will be web based.

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    "bldesignus", huh? :D

Cool item. What's the brass gadget on the back lid?

13. BeauLeopard

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    The brass piece is a pull to open the electronics compartment.

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Aah!
    I blew it up, and found: no screws! That little item sure kicked up my curiosity :D

Mind sharing the idea? sez the infamous parasite :)

15. BeauLeopard

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I don't mind sharing at all. It's not some proprietary trade secret or anything, it's just a box in a bass. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures when I did this one but I'll take some next time and post them.;)