Need Feedback on Washburn T25

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gregunit, Feb 23, 2006.

1. gregunit

Feb 23, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    I play in a 3 piece metal/hard rock band and feel I need a five string (to play some drop D stuff without carrying two basses) and something with more depth.

Anyone have some experience with the Washburn T25?

How does it work with Metal?
    Would it work as an "all-around" bass?

Thanks in advance,
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    It would certainly "work", but try to play one before you buy if possible. I have a T24, and the sound is too weak/midrangey for my tastes. Hence, it's for sale.

Your preferences may differ, though....
  3. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I have the T24 and I used it in a hard rock band with no problems. With some bright sounding strings on it you get a nice growly sound. Problem was thats about the only sound I could coax out of it easily so I don't use it that much anymore. I did like the sound of it in Dropped D a lot though. It might benefit from some new pots but the pickups seem to be pretty good and aren't noisy unless you don't have the volumes equal (same as any normal jazz bass really). I'm not a big fan of 5's but the B string on those 5 string versions is really good on all the few i've tried locally. Fit and finish wise these basses are superb, especially for the price. Try one out if you can, you might just like it.
  4. gregunit

Feb 23, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks for the feedback.

I wish I could “try before I buy” but none of the stores within 100 miles has one.

But for $355.00, I might just take a change

5. It's a good bet you won't be dissatisfied with the bass. The majority of people that have actually played this bass, find that it is in fact pretty darn decent. IMO, the price fits the bass very very well.. Sure the tones are limited, but add a preamp down the road, that should change it. The B Strings on two seperate fives I played felt and sounded very solid... more solid than my Ibby SR406. (as much as I hate to admit it.) There's been rumor that standard pickups will not fit into Washburn's cavity as there ABT series jazz p'ups are of an odd shape. (I find that the pickups kill, and would benefit from a Bart or Aggy pre, moreso than a swap.)

6. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    ive got mine a few months after it came out. about mid 2003.
    first bass i got and its still with me now. the only gripe i have it the small string spacing which isn't really bad. it's just a bit uncomfortable after using my 4 stringers.

i only use it in one of my bands. a metal core band which is in drop A. the A is quite alright and when it's in B, it's of course much better. i once tuned it to GCGCF when we were doing a lot of mudvayne and killswitch engage but tuned back up since i had to set the action a little too high for my tastes to keep it from becoming to clangy.

it's become my beater bass now but i still think it's pretty sweet. nad having a sansamp go with it is pretty nice too. although YMMY.

generally, the reviews of it here have been pretty good all around. do a search.

pick ups wise, yeah it isnt standard size so, it isnt exactly replacable without some mods but a guy just did it recently, again, do a search. he has some pictures of how it looks. not bad IMO. it's barely noticable.

if you decide to put an onboard preamp after getting it, i'd say go with either aguilar or bart. but im no preamp guru as my stingray is my only active bass. but the spacing in there is quite tight. i placed a push/pull pot in mine and i had to scrape of a little of the inside of the cavity cover.

hope this helps.

edit: you can listen to my band here it's a weird live recording though. it's just bass straight into a hartke combo amp and with two distorted 7 string guitars. it's not a good representation of the tone as you can barely hear it but just so you have an idea i guess. the amp's not mine. over here, we dont carry around our own amps n stuff. we just use the ones in the club or wherever. that's why a sansamp is quite useful. it's tuned in A and boith tone knobs are full. eq if i remember correctly is set flat.