Need feedback wood choice.. First bass build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alduroth, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Alduroth

Alduroth

Mar 3, 2009
    I was on this german wood site (www.espen.de) which was recommended by a luthier I spoke to lately, and thought hell ye I need to start a build. I got a small design, but still doubting alot bout everything. I just made a quick sketch to get an idea, still doubting between this and the so called whale design I believe?
    It's a 6 string'er by the way
    Bassdesignsketch.jpg

The woods I was thinking
    Neck: Zebrano
    Fretboard: Black Ebony
    Body: Basswood or Bubinga or European Alder
    Top: Bloodwood or Figured Poplar
    Head Veneer: matching top
    Bridge: Black Ebony

So any tips and stuff on choice and what lacquer I should use for everything?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I wouldn't use zebrano for your neck. Bubinga, wenge, maple, purple heart and a few others make great neck woods. Have you thought about a 5 or 7 piece neck? As far as your body goes bubinga is very heavy. I've seen some some sweet bubinga tops with maple bodies. I think the first thing you should do is come up with a complete design, so you know how much wood you'll need. The last thing you want to do is make changes after you start.

As far as your finish goes, I would stick to an oil.

3. jackall237

jackall237

Aug 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    I like jworrell's neck advice, and also the bubinga word. Try a mahongany body with a bubinga top and a mahongany/maple/purple heart neck. That would be pretty stellar IMHO..

4. Akshat

Akshat

Dec 7, 2007
    New Delhi,India
    Keeping the Groove staying out of Treble
    yea id prbably use maple for the neck,with an ebony fretboard.Id probably use zebrawood for the body and the top.I think id would really look nice

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021