Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Fender Precision Pickup Measurement

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgavin, Dec 7, 2001.

1. Would somebody please take an accurate measurement of the distance between the bridge saddles and the center of the pole pieces on the E and A strings on their P-Bass please?

I'm trying to get an accurate measuremet of where this pickup is located from the bridge.

I've got this idea about a Warmouth bass with both Precision and Stingray pickups installed...

2. I think a safer way to measure this would be from the 12. fret. This lenght is not depending on the saddle. I sent you the numbers when I got home.

BTW I was thinking about the same thing. Let us know how it turned out.

3. I'm easy.

I just have the Stingray measurements from the saddles, thanks to folks here.

I dunno if 12th fret is better or worse, but I suppose more consistent, as saddle distances are for intonation purposes.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe the distance to the bridge plate would be best?

5. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    With a 34 inch scale, 20 fret neck

The distance from the very end of the neck to the edge of the E and A pickup is:

3 5/8"
    Three and five eighths of an inch

The reason why I put such emphasis on the 20 fret neck is because necks with different amounts of frets extend further into the "pickguard area." Therefore, this measurement will only work with a 20 fret neck.

6. For that very reason, I think the suggestion to measure from the 12th fret, etc, is probably much more accurate.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Or, you could just do the easy thing, and contact Warmoth and tell them what you want to accomplish. They have the measurements for both pickups. They can tell you if it's possible to have both a P and a MM in the standard positions, or not.

It's strange how things go in waves around here. First, there is the Dave Pushic wave, and then the Warmoth wave, and now, the P pickup and MM pickup wave has started. Since Embellisher first mentioned having a P and MM pickup, this is the 3rd or 4th time I have seen it show up. Odd.

8. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    I just measured teh pickup placement of my Fender P bass and EBMM Stingray from the 12th fret.

I found out something that may be of interest to you.

On the Fender, the distance from the 12th fret to the edge of the pickup closest to the neck is 10-1/2 inches.

On the Stingray, the distance from the 12th fret to the edge of the pickup closest to the neck is 12-5/8 inches.

Now for the interesting part...

On the Fender, the distance from the 12th fret to the edge of the pickup farthest from the neck is 12-3/4 inches.

So, from the 12th Fret:

Farthest part of P pickup = 12-3/4 inches
    Closest part of MM pickup = 12-5/8 inches

It looks like if you want to place them in their stock positions they will overlap by 1/8 inch (at least based on my instruments).

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I would make an MM-J pickup config like on those Lakland 94 series basses.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, the first time that I mentioned a P/MM bass, Angus said that the pickups in the traditional positions would overlap. No biggie. My first interest is the P tone, so I will just move the MM a little closer to the bridge.

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm still waitin' on the Dual Powerbucker or J+J+Powerbucker wave :D ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

...The switching possibilities! :eek:

Anybody got a 8-pole/16-position Grayhill layin' around? :p

12. I need one measurement, please.. Rumblin'Man or ???

I'm looking for the measurement from the 12th fret to the centerline (pole pieces) of the E-A portion of the P pickup.

I'm adding all this data to my spreadsheet in my signature, so it will be available to anybody who needs it.

As an aside, my RB5 neck pickup appears to be within 0.125" of the same position as the P pickup.