Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Fenderguys' opinion!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hallo,
    I need to know about your experiences with '60s Jazz basses-vs'70s ones.
    Is the big prices diference justified???Are the60's ones realy so much better,as the prices diference would suggest????????
    Please Let me know!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you!!!!!::confused: :confused: :confused:

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    It can certainly vary from instrument to instrument, but in general pre-CBS basses (before 1965) are considered much better than others. Of course they are more $$$ as well.

:D

3. "Improvements" in the manufacturing process (i.e., making it cheaper) after CBS bought Fender certainly made a difference. Certainly you can find pre-CBS basses which are out of this world. But most of the great players probably have devoted owners now. IMO the main difference between 60s and 70s basses is one of character. They make different sounds.

I would NOT buy a pre CBS bass at the prices they go for in original condition now. They are collector's pieces, and you can get great modern basses, like Sadowskies, for example, more cheaply. However, you may be able to get a mucked about pre-CBS bass at a good price if you look. One which has had the collectibility modified out of it.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Collectibility is the major factor in pricing older Jazzes for the most part. I've played some amazing but well worn 60's Jazzes and some mint condition ho-hum examples.

It all depends on your motivations... for me I really like the killer sound of an Ash Jazz and the much-maligned 70's models are what I like. They're going up in value too so get them while you can.

5. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank you guys for your replies,
    as soon as I've realized that only the'70s ones have maple fingerboards(isn't it?),I have solved the dilemma.
    If I should realy decide to sell my Sadowsky for a Fender,it will be necessary a'70s one.
    And then they cost less,whileI still like them a lot too!;)

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Or you could do what I did...got a modified '74 for $500, threw the aftermarket bridge & pups out, bought Custom Shop 60s pups, J-Retro and Fender Vintage Bridge and I now have a nice '74 that is modded the way I like it. Total cost? $860

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you need to be careful - everyone agrees that the quality control at Fender went down hill after the 60s and while there's no doubt there are decent 70s basses to be had, you cannot by any mean guarantee it.

I was buying basses in the early 80s and in England the standard of Fenders we saw, was very poor and almost always, the Japanese basses were miles better - there were all sorts of problems with unstable neck joints and poor fit.

I would say that you are highly unlikely to find a 70s Fender that is better than a Sadowsky - but anyway if you find a bargain I wouldn't buy without trying it first extensively!

I've seen too many bad 70s Fenders in Europe to ever want to go down this road and I would always prefer the Sadowsky, given the choice ! ;)

8. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    hi Bruce,and thank you for your warnings!
    I think that every sigle vintage Fender,60's or 70's,needs to be tryed and looked very very carefully,befure buying.I agree with you;infact I have a very good luthier who is a friend of mine,and if I'll decide to go for a particular Fender I'll take him withy me,before buying!
    And then I have a good point on my side:I'm no hurry.My Sadowsky can do the job very well.So,I want take the first Fender I meet.I have all the time to find the right one.
    Every time I have played a vintage Fender,I have found it more punchy,much faster,better neck shape,greater feeling than my Sadowsky.May be I have been lucky up to now....

9. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Good warning Bruce and as Amoilbasso
    said, it's something to consider for any purchase of an older bass.

Believe it or not I've come across quite a few 70's Jazzes that have been way above average. I know that at least in my case, in the 70's I was looking for basses that hid my deficiencies instead of doing what they did really well. I'd guess the majority of players back then may have been in the same boat, thinking that getting the same bass as another player would give them the same results.

After I quit blaming basses I came to realize the beauty and simplicity of a good Fender Jazz. As maligned as the 70's Jazzes have been in general in the past, I'd put my 78 Ash Jazz up against any other Jazz inspired bass. It's one "problem" really isn't a problem at all... it has a gap at the neck pocket which has zero effect on stability and playability.

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    And lets keep something in mind people, Marcus Miller and Geddy Lee both play some nice high-end and classic basses, but always comes back to their 70s era Jazz basses (especially Miller). I'm certain either of these guys can find and afford any pre-CBS Jazz ax they want. Yet they favor their 70s Jazz. It’s all subjective, I reckon.

Sure, from Jaco to Joe Osborne and a lot of the greats played pre-CBS Jazz basses, but keep in mind how those older, thinner necks were known to twist on ya.

I think the collector's game is a crock. I can't see paying thousands and thousands of dollars on an old bass or guitar. If you took away the "vintage" aesthetic from an old J bass and just judged it for tone, playability, consistency, good looks; only a few exceptional gems could compare to a hand crafted Sadowsky or the like IMHO.

Ron

12. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Brad I agree with you about '70s J basses.
    I recently tryed a'76:it was a bomb!
    And then don't foget that I would install a good Preamp(or use an outboard) and a much modern bridge:so I think that with this customizations,I'll get something better of my sadowsky.As I said before:all the vintage Fenders I have tryed were punchier,faster,much better neck shape,greater overall feeling of my sadowsky.At least for me
    Tomorrow morning I'm going to Siena where there's a good shop:they have a '75 with maple fingerboard and ash body.I'll check it.They want 1800 Euros.
    Anyway I will go to a specialized shop in Genova in the next week-end:they have many '60s and 70's,so I'll get back home with a clearer idea.Ay least I suppose....

13. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    My Sadowsky smokes any fender jazz bass I've ever played, and I have and have had many jazzes.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yeah, well that's like you're opinion, man

j/k;)

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Master of the obvious- BJ

j/k back at ya

16. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hallo everybody,
    I've been to that shop in Siena,but THAT STUPID seller on the phone didn't tell m that it wasn't a'75;it was a 75 reissue!!!!!!!So I've done 150kms for nothing!!!!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I have to wait tuesday or fraiday,when I'll go to that vintage shop near Genova.....

P.S What does j/k mean?????

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    j/k = just kidding

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Well I love both my 77&78 Jazz basses, Ive played some crapper Fenders from the 60's 70's 80's and 90's but I also played some all from the same era that were killer.
    Hell! I have a 83 Pbass that I would put up against any 60's or 70's fender pbass or Lull for that fact in the studio and live,
    It all depends on if ya find The One!:D

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That really stinks. Did the seller know it was a reissue?

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Why I oughta...

:D