Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Flatwound Reccomendation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by petch, Jul 11, 2002.

1. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Can someone recommend a flatwound that will fit my 35" scale Peavey G-bass? I am looking to tone down the aggressive character of this graphite necked beast. I prefer modest tension i.e. not too high and 45-65-80-100 gauge. And of course they need to be long enough...

2. take a look at d'adarrio Chromes. it's all i use and i really like them. thomastik-infeld are super string, don't get me wrong. i just like the chromes better. they come in a variey of lengths so just check their web site for the sizes available. worst case is you buy a 5 string set and give the b sting away. good luck.

3. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I am also looking into flats for my g-bass. Did you ever try any petch?

I am thinking about trying some tapewounds or maybe Fender flats. The TI Flats seem like they might be too bright for this bass.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've tried every flat string known to man. My two faves are TI Jazz Flats (proviso to come) and D'Addario Chromes. TI's always have the best sound but on a 34" scale Bass the tension is unacceptably floppy. So on 34's I always gravitated to Chromes. When I got my Q5 which,like your Peavey is a 35, I tried the TI's again. The extra inch offsets the TI floppiness.
    If your goal is to take some of the top end aggressiveness from your Bass without going all the way to traditional "Flat Dead/Thud" then the TI is your string. If you happen to slap at all you will find that the TI Flats and your Peavey are very slap compatable as well.

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have TI Flats on my 34" and string tension has never been a problem.

6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I have TIs on another bass of mine and I like them very much. The graphite necked g-bass is very bright, even with the treble rolled off and I would like to get more thud. I suspect that the TIs would be too bright for this bass. I was also wondering if I need long scale strings. Will regular 34" strings work with no problem?

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ernie Ball Flatwounds are my current strings of choice. The gauges you want are in Group III. They're a good deal cheaper than the more prestigious flats around (like TI and La Bella) but they give a good idea of flats in general.

8. I'd recommend Rotosound jazz flats, they have a nice thump and last forever. Should fit a 35" scale bass too.

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I use and love the D'addario Chromes

10. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Well last night I decided to just take a set of Fender Flats off a jazz bass and stick them on the g-bass. Seems to have tamed that sizzling high end somewhat. Cheaper and quicker than ordering strings.