Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need flight case

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by trillion, Apr 26, 2005.

1. trillion

trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    Where can I purchase? I need TWO. ouch. Used would be ok, but have no idea how to go about finding them.

help?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    ummmm, there's a reason that this is posted in DOUBLE BASS and BASSES. And the reason is NOT that he didn't mean to post it in AMPS on the BG side.

Dawn in the mountains yet?

3. trillion

trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    Sorry, yes, I need upright double bass flight cases. 3/4 to full size. Any make or model will do. Even if I have to buy a wood "coffin". I just need one for sure, asap. I am an instrument poor mom with two sons who play and own very expensive uprights, four electric bass guitars, five electric six string guitars, a multitude of amps, pedals, cables, and other sound equipment that I cannot even begin to list, Have allowed them to build their own recording studio in my house by knocking out walls etc.. but the guys have proven to me that they will make music their careers, and they will make money at it. (One is at Hartt, the other looking at UNT and Berklee.... hmm. well, lets hope so. So one day maybe I can by myself a new car. so there. can anyone advise me on where to find one of these mysterious flight cases?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Used, not specifically. You gotta be a little careful, they do get worn out...

New, you can try

Dave Gage
    Kolstein
    String Bass Shop
    Ideal
    Cremonasia

there's web sites for them all.

5. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    UNT and Berklee are at different ends of the spectrum in my opinion. I attended both and UNT is far better.

6. trillion

trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    I thought so too, but son number two is also a composer. At 17, written concertos and symphonies.. for stringed orchestras, but has written over 100 songs for his rock band..

I have no idea on how to counsel that.

any views?

7. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You won't find stringed orchestras at Berklee. You will find them at NT. Plus there's no comparison in the price. I think NT would be the best value fo the $.

My .02

8. trillion

trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    thank you. I agree. He also, thank God, is consciencious about money. So what do you do?

9. I've no idea where you are, but shipping on an empty flight-case can be expensive. Here in the NE USA the Nahrmann Bass Shop has a number of flight-cases for double-bass advertised on his site (under accessories) and I think he has some used cases which he rents out to folks…

Good luck!

- Wil

10. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Anyone know where I can get one in Texas? It looks like I'll need one in June for a one-way trip to Poland.

11. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Not sure if it's still possible but I used to just purchase an extra seat for my bass and bring it on the plane. They probably have rules against that now but if it's possible, it would probably be cheaper than buying a case and then having to store it when you get to your destination.

12. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    That's an option to consider if the extra ticket would cost me less than I'd lose reselling a trunk in Poland. Has anybody done this flying internationally out of the US post 9/11?

13. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There's also the cost of shipping the case to consider too. That might be as much a ticket. When I used to do it, I would take late night flights so that the plane was not that crowded.

14. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Yes, I have made several trips out of the US since 9/11.
    A couple years ago I inquired about buying an extra seat for my bass on a British Airways flight. I was told that the only way for the bass to ride with me in the cabin was if I were to buy four seats! It's not so easy anymore to fly with a bass. I think a flight case is your only option. Get one of the ones that is more or less shaped like a bass, the Gage Case for example. I have one of the "anvil" style retangular ones in my home, it's very sturdy but it won't fly as baggage. Too big and too heavy, so say the airlines. The only way to fly one of those is by air cargo and that's real expensive, will probably cost you over a grand to Europe. The last time I flew overseas with it the people that had engaged me were plenty pissed when they got the cargo bill! The cargo companies charge by volume weight for a case like that. Should cost you less if you get something like the Gage case or one of the other brands that are mentioned earlier in this thread.

15. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Thanks... My bass is fat and I'd have to change planes and probably airlines at least once so the flight case does sound like it will be a necessity. I'll inquire with all the stores in Texas... one of them oughta be able to find something by June. Does anyone know if Mark Rubin still works at Violins Etc?

16. trillion

trillion

Feb 8, 2005
    I'm the mom (trillion) looking to buy, but have rented one before from Gold's Violin Shop in Bellaire (Houston) from Ira Gold. It is his son's, and he rented it to me for $20.00 per day. It cost me $85.00 each way from Houston to Connecticut, as an "oversized" peice of luggage, according to Continental Airlines. I felt I got of cheap, considering the other threads!

17. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  18. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I don't know what the prices are on the Cremonasia cases, but I got my soft case from them and it was relatively inexpensive and super high quality.

+1 for Jacques Gagnon.