Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Fretless 5 suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Jan 21, 2001.

1. The bassist with our praise ensemble at church has his heart set on a fretless 5 bass. The 5 strings aren't my forte so I thought that I would get some suggestions from the board. He is on a definite budget at $800 tops and wants an unlined fingerboard.

Whaddya say?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I am very happy with my unlined fretless Cort Curbow 5. Of course, I believe the accepted reply here is that he try a bunch of fretless fives to make an educated decision.
    Doc

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    the warwick corvette or thumb (used) 5 fretlesses are great. tell him to check them out.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cort Artisan B5-FL. Wenge neck, no lines, active electronics, sounds great, inexpensive. ~$550

5. I wouldn't count on it, but if you kept your eyes peeled, there might be a used fretless Stingray 5 going for around 800. I got mine for 900. As far as I can tell, used Musicman basses seem pretty rare, and it'd be even harder to find a used fretless 5 floating around.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm thinkin' that maybe he should commission his good buddy Hambone to build him one!!!

-robert

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I would go with the Cort Curbow 5 Fretless... wait a minute.. I already did.
    Im gonna recieve mine tomorrow... (I hope so), I will post my comments then.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If he wants a new one, I'll go with Brad's recommendation.

In this price range, there is nothing that can touch a Cort Artisan. These basses have pretty quiet electronics with great tone, and that wenge neck and whatever fingerboard they have(looks like ebony, not sure though) give the bass great mwaahh.

I have been looking for a more expensive fretless 5(around $2000 or so) and I'll tell you, this bass beats a lot of $1500 - $2000 fretlesses in tone. I compared it to one of the Fender Jaco signatures(yeah, I know that's a 4 string) and the tone of the Artisan blew it away. No contest.

If he is looking used, you can get a used Stingray 5 FL(if you can find one!) or used Peavey Cirrus 5 FL(great bass, harder to find than a used Stingray FL). These are 2 of the best sounding fretlesses that I have ever heard(still haven't heard a Lakland or a pre Gibson Tobias:().

9. Funny thing guys, the one bass that he has been able to try locally is the Cort Artisan. He was very pleased with what he heard and felt. I also suggested the Curbow 5 but his reaction was the the body was just a little "contemporary" for his tastes.

He currently plays a MM Sabre and owns a Fender P as a backup. He wants to go new so the used MM is out. He hates the sound of the P but that's a MM player for ya.

As far as building him one, don't think I haven't suggested it! The only thing that keeps me from really pushing the concept is that I can't guarantee that I can get a B string that has enough balls in it. I've read enough about this being one of the defining characteristics of a good 5er that I would want to make sure it was right.

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I just got my Cort Curbow Fretless 5 with Custom Bartolini...
    It is great!!
    When the pickup is in P Mode.. it sounds more thumpy.. but when i put it into Series mode.. IT KICKS!!! It can even be Slapped and sound Great!!
    As for the MWAH factor.. It isnt the ultimate MWAH.. but with good fingers it sounds awesome.. (Im new to OWNing a fretless, so I will improve with time)

11. Check out http://www.carvin.com
    I have a fretless (unlined) LB75. If he is looking for a new one, it's hard to do better for the price.