Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need general string help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by monkeyboy, Apr 24, 2001.

1. monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Apr 24, 2001
    hi,
    having been playing bass for over a year and half i confess i know little about strings! basically i play a lower/mid range 2nd hand 5 string. i mostly play metal/heavy rock. also strings ive used in the past tend to seem to go twangy(vibrate making funny noise) after a couple of months. which strings would be best 4 me do u recommend? i mean stuff like material, gauge, just any helpful info. pleassseee
    cheers
    nick

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What are you using now? (You have no profile info., shame ;) ).

By "twangy...funny noise", do you mean buzzing like they're hitting metal or do you mean metallic rattling like something is loose? If so, has your truss rod ever been adjusted or your nut and frets checked by a guitar tech?

DR Hi-Beams and Rotosound Swing 66's, .045-.130, are just two that are favored by people playing your style of music.

3. monkeyboy

monkeyboy

Apr 24, 2001
    hmm. i think the rattling is the string vibrating against the frets, but i cant figure out why theyve decided to do it. ive played around with the height and wot not.
    i'm actually using rotosound 66 swing strings at mo, but 40-125 gauge. so might try the heavier ones.
    anyone tried trace elliot 45-130s?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Does "wot not" include truss rod adjustment?

5. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    I would buy a new set of strings and then take it to a local guitar shop or better yet a luthier and have them put the strings on and do a complete set up on your bass.
    This is really worth the money if your not familar with properly setting up a bass.They can set the neck and strings to "your" playing style.Dont be afraid to ask ?'s.Thats why there in business.