1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need gigging cab for 2ohm head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thelizardking, Apr 17, 2006.

1. thelizardking

thelizardking

Apr 12, 2006
    colorado
    this is something that's been at the back of my head for awhile, so i figured i'd get some good opinions on the matter. i bought the yamaha bbt500h right when it came out. in retrospect i could have probably done much better, but i must admit it has grown a bit on me. i used to plug into a 15' peavey cab my friend had, and it was shaking the house through the 4 ohm speaker. there are some very good workable tones, and since i play all styles of music it gives me good versatility. the question is what kind of cab should i begin considering for this thing?

i'm looking for something sturdy enough to gig with. for my three piece band i'm looking for something that can give me some good low end definition, and some good growl (i like a thick bass tone, a la mike dirnt from greenday). we usually play in venues of about +100 people (with PAs). however, i am a bit strapped for cash (capped at about $400-500). i was considering selling the yamaha head and just buying a decent combo, but opted for the seperate head and cabinet. i could always upgrade one or the other in the future. i'm just looking for a good cab that can make the most out of a 2ohm head.

i was thinking maybe a good 2x12 cabinet. i hear great things about avatar. i was also wondering about the yamaha's matching 4x10 cab, but i'm not sure. i just need something that could keep up with a marshall guitar stack and a somewhat avante garde drummer. i'm not obsessed with brand names and the like. if it sounds good, it'll work. thanks for any input and/or recommendations.

2. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I just got a 4 ohm 212 avatar and love it. Thinking of adding another to bring it down to 2 ohm, then I can use all 1200watts of my amp :bassist:

3. thelizardking

thelizardking

Apr 12, 2006
    colorado
    anybody know what the differences between the deltas and neo's are? tone-wise, that is. i'm very much leaning towards the avatar. it looks solid is right in my price range.

4. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    E-mail dave from avatar. He will get back to you very quickly with an answer.

5. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005