1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need good 6 string recomendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by solutionbassist, Apr 20, 2010.

1. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    sorry if this is a repeat but i wasn't finding much on "search":scowl:
    anyway, I gig regurlarly, I play praise and worship, metal, jazz, and rock mainly. I need something that will sound good, great tone, and is versitle. doesn't have to be pro but i don't want to have to upgrade any time soon. Thanks ahead of time.:bassist:

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

PM Sent

3. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    Not got one yet. I mostly buy used basses. Unless it's really rare (like my electric upright!!!!!! love those)=]

4. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    Thanks. riscose looks cool not something ive heard of before but im a little new to the bass guitar world (1yr in july) also do they make any with the fret markers on em?

5. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    any ideas:help::help::help::hyper:

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Check out this YouTube video all, the Fender Bass VI is worth looking at , This bass guitar is on my wish list but is mucho $$$$$$......:cool:

Fender Bass VI demo

7. MNAirHead

I'd avoid the low end ones.. used prices are beaten enough right now that you can jump into a mid to upper range cheap.

8. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    fender?

9. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    For the kind of versatility you are looking for, I'd grab an Ibanez. The SR506 is cheap, and the SR5006 is not.

10. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    great ibanez is cool:D

11. MNAirHead

I'll bring it up.. a TL-6 is the current best buy in gear.. they were about $2k in 1990.. still way under $1000.. botique quality on a low budget.

Quite frankly.. many basses are a 4+2 ... not a 6 banger.

12. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    knew that what i was lookin for would be hard to find
    you can just call me a metal bassist...............

13. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I just went through this same senario and I bought a used Yamaha Patitucci 6. Extremely versitile and super nice at a decent price. I would also like to mention the Callowhill MDM-6 for sale on eBay, extremely high end at a super low price. It has 2 preamps inside!

14. tim bucknall

tim bucknall

May 26, 2010
    hows the build quality on the Peavey 6 string grindbass?

15. It's sold pending payment...but haven't seen the payment yet. If you like a neck through, it's awesome. If you like the thinner neck of the bolt-on Ibanez, it's not what you're looking for.

6 strings are all I play now...a new fretless is on the way!

Z

16. tim bucknall

tim bucknall

May 26, 2010
    thanks for that, hmm might go with the Ibanez for the smaller neck in that case
    if no one here has had any annoying issues with them?

that ltd etd Japan SRVIISC would have ticked so many boxes for me if it wasn't so darn elusive ah well, such is life

17. Moonbot

Moonbot

Jul 27, 2009
    I was just about to mention the Peavy Grind 6.
    It plays like a dream, action can go very low at least on mine anyway.
    To be honest It plays almost as nicely as my Carvin LB76, at no where near the price, but the pickups are somewhat lacking.
    They don't have a bad sound just only really 2 or 3 different tones can be gotten out of the Grind, (with me playing it at least).

I highly recommend the Grind and better pickups for a super cheap/nice sixer.