1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need GOOD headphone amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbone0813, May 13, 2006.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I was looking at this auction, and was hoping someone else might have had some expereience with the Hamilton Headphone Amp.

Recommendations would be great. This is going to go with my Steinberger Spirit Headless Bass for traveling. I have tried the Rockman Bass Ace- Not impressed at all. Very distorted sound all the time. I haven't heard great reviews on the CTech Pocket Rockit either.

2. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    If it's designed for guitar it is probably going to distort like crazy. Most headphones with amp are going to be fuzzy. I would check out a couple things especially for traveling and being versitile the Tascam Portable CD Bass Trainer. It can work as a practice amp, but can play along with CD's and tools for transcibing. Looking at your gear list your have money to spare go check out Phil Jones Bass gear. He makes a thing called a Bass Buddy. Small 10w bass amp with graphic EQ everything and size of a large pedal.

3. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    i have had good success with this as a portable monitor http://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLPM50S
    i use it as a more me box when recording.
    or if you want a headphone amp that works on batteries and has effects, amp sim , metronome/ drum patterns/ tuner.. try the Korg Pandora. I love mine for travel or practice at home. It is the size of a deck of cards.. http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPX4B

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have a Rockit. I think it's pretty good.

Another new, not so expensive alternative is - a Zoom B2.

5. tbone0813

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Have you used it specifically for a headphone amp? Just bass plugged directly in to the box with a set of headphones?

6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    REally can't beat the cafe walter for HA amp.

I hear Sadowsky has one comnig too.

7. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I had the chance to drop by Guitar Centre and spent an hour trying to find a headphone amp i can use.

Tried the CTech and Rockit's version 2. They are way too noisy.
    I ended with a Pandora PX4D, for guitar and bass. Good effects, backing drum tracks and really small to carry around. The auto-wah and synth bass presets are very cool and you can tweak them quite a bit.

The EQ on the unit is OK, but not fantastic. The only thing i didnt really like is not a lot of gain for earphones/headphones. It is enough but just not very loud. For $60 more than the usual headphone amp, i think this little unit is worth it. and it is really usable for "Live" use.

8. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Oh... i was using that before i got the Pandora. It is designed as a microphone amplifier, but i use the line input and gave me enuff gain for earphone use. There is a 9v batt version.

9. If you're not afraid to spend coin, I can highly recommend the HeadRoom series of headphone amps. www.headphone.com. They're designed for music listening, but they have plenty of power to push very nice (but inevitably inefficent) headphones to deafining levels.

10. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I've heard nothing but god things about the Cafe Walter.

You should also look into finding a used KORG Pandora... I have one, and not only is a good headphone amp, but it has built in FX, amp models, tuner, metronome/beats, and more. Here's one on the bay, you might find another or one of the older models (PX3B) for less.

11. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Yes.. bass plugged straight into the Rolls unit... It works great.. It sounds a little too clean for me like that... I sometimes will mic my cab and run the Mic Thru to the board.. that way i get my amp sound...and then run the out to the headphones... it can get very loud if you want.. depending on the type of phones that you use.... be careful.....if you run a preamp into the Rolls it may overload the unit and it will distort the input side...

12. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Supporting Member Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Anyone try the Jam Plug yet?

13. seakamp

seakamp Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Because of this forums and all of the rave reviews of the cafe walter I'm probably going to be picking one up as soon as a new batch gets in. :hyper:

Not to kill the topic or anything but... what headphones does everyone use with their headphone amps?

14. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    here's my setup for practicing:

- powerbook g4
    - ableton live/logic express
    - headphones

ideally i would have a nice audio interface but i'm just using the line in. that is usually fine.

15. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio

Hey what does ableton live/logic express do? It sounds interesting...

16. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I finally settled on an older Pandora PX3B that I bought on Ebay. I then bought a good set of Headphones that handled the B string. I got a audio-technica ATH-M30. Paid $75 for the Pandora and $70 for the headphones. I love having the drum machine and the ability to change the sounds. Turned out to be a great practice tool.

17. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Cafe Walter is great! The best sound of any headphone amp I have played.

18. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    My DOD Bass 30 works well. But it's hard to travel with, because it's on the larger side (17"X8"), and no batteries, wall outlet only.

19. tbone0813

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    This will be used strictly as a headphone amp. I travel constantly, and am looking for something to amplify my bass when I am on the road.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard bad things about these. It appears they are quite noisy.

I'm going to start with the Rolls setup. I just found one on eBay w/ PS for $35.

20. I'm happy with my Rockit.