1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Good replacement speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maddnotez, Jan 11, 2012.

1. maddnotez

maddnotez

May 5, 2011
    Not to good on nice bass gear so I come to ask.

My bassist has a 2x15 cab, and either fried the head or the speakers. We think it is the speakers.

The amp is a GK700RB not sure which series, He uses a Spector bass not sure which model and we play metal.

Looking for suggestions on what speakers to get to throw in the cab.

Will probably go used and hopefully find a good deal, but what are some good 15" for metal?

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Uh-oh.... (sits down, breaks out popcorn and waits....)

3. contact GK directly w/info on the cabinet model, they sell replacement speakers for most of their gear.

4. maddnotez

maddnotez

May 5, 2011
    The cab is a no name cab but GK amp.

5. going to be difficult to recommend anything, then, in terms of replacement.

If your bassist is sold on two 15" cabs then may I suggest you take a look in the amp stickies for recommended cabs? Lots to choose from, esp if you buy used. If money is tight then Peavey is one good choice. Lots of others as well, do a search in TB as this subject comes up at least 3 times a day.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Unlike guitar, bass speakers depend a whole lot on the enclosure they're in. In order to get any useful reccomendations and not waste your money, you need width, height and depth measurements of the INSIDE of the cabinet as well as width, height and depth measurements of the INSIDE of the ports, if any. If they are round ports, you need diameter and depth. Post that and there are several people here who coukd help.

Amp power is already known. Also what should be known is whether you use a lot of upper mid grind and use mids/bright sound to cut through your metal mix, or if you use a lot of lowend to float the guitars above you. In most metal, I'm guessing it's the former. Everything's tradeoffs. Speakers that respond well up high aren't so good at bass and vice versa. Need to find a middle ground in between somewhere.

What you can afford would be nice to know too. Otherwise you'll get recommendations of a lot of totally badass speakers you can't afford.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

You'll then balance all that stuff I just posted against what you can find on the used market you can afford.

Hint, if your patient, you could probably land an Ampeg 810 for around $500.

Used Peavey 215's around $200.

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

What kind of speaker is the blown one? And what kind of speaker is the other one in the cab (they should match, but sometimes if speakers have been replaced already, they don't).

With bass cabs, you can't just throw any speakers into them and expect them to work. How it sounds depends as much on the box as on the speakers.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If I were buying cheap 15's to throw in a random cabinet without looking at it, it'd be Peavey PR15 neos right now.

They're not going to take a huge pounding but they're pretty loud and pretty cheap and go pretty low.

If you provide some actual info about box size/porting we can give better estimates, but realistically these days you're better off buying another new cab most of the time, unless you're willing to live with the cheapos.

10. I see from your other thread you're serious.

OK. :cool:

If you can post pics and the dimensions of your cab, including the thickness of cab wall, the depth of the baffleboard from the front edge, and if there's ports, how many, their diameter, and their depth then I think we can run a quick and dirty WinISD for you and see what may work in terms of proper replacements drivers. Others will hopefully chime in and correct me if I miscalc.......:bag:

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    You can check if the cabinet is at least working by doing the battery test. Place the terminals of a 9V battery across the tip and sleeve of the speaker cable connected to the cab. You should get a healthy clunk from the cabinet.

12. You must mean the “Blue Marvel TKO-1556”?

EDIT: Peavey - Blue Marvel TKO-1556

Features/Specifications:
    15"
    Impedance: 8 Ohms
    Power capacity: 900 W Peak, 450 W Program, 225 W Continuous
    Sensitivity: 96.9 dB / 1 W 1 m
    Usable frequency range: 35 Hz ~ 4 kHz
    Cone: Impregnated cellulose
    Voice coil diameter: 2.5" (63.5 mm)
    Voice coil material: 2 layers, thermally bonded copper wire Kapton former Nomex® stiffener
    Net weight: 13.4 lbs. (6.1 kg)
    Znom (ohms) 8
    Revc (ohms) 6.18
    Sd (Square Meters) 0.051
    BL (T/M) 13.00
    Fo (Hz) 36.2
    Vas (liters) 265.6
    Cms (uM/N) 258.0
    Mms (gm) 74.70
    Qms 9.55
    Qes 0.620
    Qts 0.580
    Xmax (mm) 3.9
    Le (mH) 0.87
    SPL (1W 1m) 96.9
    No (%) 2.95%
    Vd (cu. in. / ml) 12.1 / 199
    Pmax (Watts pgm.) 450
    Disp (cu. in. / ml) 192 / 3147
    Weight Unpacked: 11.50 lbs (5.216 kg)
    Weight Packed: 14.50 lbs (6.577 kg)
    Dimensions Packed: 18.25" W x 19" H x 7" D (46.355 x 48.26 x 17.78 cm)

$99.19
    http://www.fullcompass.com/product/413570.html

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
  14. kool, same cheap price too.

15. or measure and email Eminence with all the diminsions. They have helped me in the past, including taking an old cabinet and modifying the net volume by placing a small wooden box inside the cabinet to decrease the total volume size. Strange, but functional

16. maddnotez

maddnotez

May 5, 2011
    will follow up with demensions asap

17. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    nice thread