Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need good websites on improv and scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Are there any. I need one that has video along with it that shows the proper fingering. BTW why is this board so dead?

2. it may seem dead cause you should be posting this (or looking first) in the general instruction forum. I would say look there and someone can help you out.

3. I thought this was the GI forum?

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    This board isn't dead, believe me. :) Whenever interesting questions arise, there are plenty of people who will chime in with their opinions.

There are lessons at www.activebass.com that might help you with scales and such. Also, www.adamnitti.com/lessons.shtml has some good stuff.

As far as videos showing the fingerings, there probably aren't many since you can finger a scale many different ways. If you want to get this idea under your fingers, practice Pacman's sure-fire scale practice method that's stickied at the top of this (General Instruction) forum. This should help get you started.

Also, in Mike Dimin's forum, do a search on the posts by tim99 there. He put together fingering diagrams for the major scales, related modes & chords associated with each scale mode and posted them in a thread there.

5. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Yah, Tim went a little nutty on that thread. :)
    But be careful, because that thread and Pacman's don't mix too well. I'm still trying to figure out which works, which doesn't and why, for myself. But there's enough for years of study.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    For scales, go to my homepage.

7. Check out www.cyberschoolofbass.com. It's a website setup by Bunny Brunel and is pretty thorough with alot of different aspects--Scales, modes, slap, etc. Plus, it has videos that go over each section. Hope that helps

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Same here, basically. Your work was tremendous and really helps visualize Mike's patterns. :) I'm just not sure yet if a pattern based approach is the right way; it just doesn't fit with how Pacman, Jazzbo, Chris Fitzgerald, or others have recommended scales be practiced, learned and applied. (Or it could just be me not seing the connection.)

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I think physically you can see similarities in tim's & pacman's methods. I mean, if you look hard enough you can see the 7/1, 3/4, 5 & 6 scale patterns in Pacman's method. I think the difference is in how different people approach this conceptually, the goal of these practice routines are different for different people. Also, tim went into chords which wasn't covered so much in Pacman's method, although you could extract them.

Of course, I could be way off base here, but that's what I thought I saw when I was trying to glean knowledge from tim's & Pacman's methods.

10. LARUMBLE

LARUMBLE

Feb 11, 2005
    GOOD POST REFINED BASS I USE BUNNYS BOOKS :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: