1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need guidance, going into a "real deal" studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Secret Journey, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Secret Journey

Secret Journey

Aug 29, 2009
    hey guys, after playing for 19 years, and doing some small studio work, I am finally involved in a project that will be recording in a "real" studio, with a known producer and engineer (gold records really on the wall!). I am thrilled, and yet terrified. The bands sound is a straight forward rock sound, two guitars, drums with myself, doing bass and some gospel sounding keys..
    I play mainly a fender jazz, more specificly a geddy lee jazz bass, this bass has tracked well for me over the years, I also play a 1986 G&L 2000, has some serous funk in there. My live rig I run the tech 21 VT pedal into a QSC power amp. I guess getting that "ampeg" tone. People have given me compliments on my sound and rig, in the past I have used the power amp in conjunction with a tech 21 bass driver, and i like the high end grit i can get from that.
    Ok my question is this for those who have recorded semi pro/pro. Would it be too much for me to ask the engineer to use two tracks, one clean, and one with grit? has anyone else had this experience. my recording date is for may 13th~. drums and bass, all day into the night. I just want to go in, do my part, and be done. I am excited and terrified. any recording tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all so much for your input over the years, this site is simply awesome!:hyper::hyper::hyper:

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I'd say that's a wonderful idea. Often a little grit helps the bass cut through the track. He'll probably want to take a DI from your bass and then either mic your amp or take a second DI from the VT. Either one should be fine.

3. That idea sounds perfectly fine, 2 tracks is not too much to ask and is pretty much the norm these days. OTOH be prepared to go with whatever the producer and engineer may want, they may want you to use higher end gear. For your part know the songs, have your basses ready to go, fresh strings if needed and a proper set up, fresh batteries all that good stuff.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    1) Try to stay relaxed - tension will make you play fast (it does me!)
    2) Show up early. Expect to leave late.
    3) Don't get sucked into an arguement or debate - in any way - with your bandmates. It seems like every time I have recorded, some weird emotional BS always creeps up.

Be professional, be prompt. You'll do fine.

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    it really is going to depend on what kind of capabilities he has along with the needs of your entire band. if you want to do a ton of different tracks you may have to end up making a choice between a 2nd bass track and something else. i think the standard is usually to leave 2 tracks for bass - one DI and one mic'ed. i haven't done a ton of studio work, but that's always been my experience. i always liked taking a direct from my pre-amp's head (post any effects) and a good mic on my cab. i've always liked the sound of the mic better than the direct, but i really liked the cabs i used so duh. it's cool being able to mix the 2 to get the ideal balance of what you are looking for.

above all, it really depends on the engineer. a great engineer will get you a great track if you give him/her a great performance. that's ultimately the most important thing about anything studio. hopefully you've heard some of what the engineer has done before in taht studio and he/she can help guide you to getting the tone you want.

6. masterfader87

masterfader87

Jan 18, 2010
    Being an engineer myself, i have to say that it won't be a problem at all as long as you're not an ******* about it and demand things.

Be cool, calm, collected and confident (not cocky) and everything will be great.

No reason to be nervous or anything.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my advice is to go in with a solid idea of what you want. i am assuming you are an equal member of the band, and not a hired gun - if so then you need to go in with a solid, specific request. don't be wishy washy. if you want 2 tracks, then you get 2 tracks. track count should not be an issue anywhere with these guys if they are as big and accomplished as you say, and it's not like he's going to have to record you 2x to get both tracks.

in fact, if you want, talk to the engineer beforehand and ask him if he has any ideas up front in addition to your requests. say you have some things that you definitely want, but you are also open to his input and suggestions. don't feel obligated to take them if you don't like them, but really converse with him about it. you might learn something, and you'll be setting the groundwork for a good rapport with him.

8. Secret Journey

Secret Journey

Aug 29, 2009
    thanks for the advice guys. And , yes I am an equal member of the band.
    My other question is this.. Do heavy gauge strings records better than lighter gauge strings? I ask this because last year, I switched to light gauge as I have gotten "tired" of plucking them monsters. A friend of mine recommended that I switch back to heavies for the recording. I do notice a sound difference with the lighter gauge strings, but I have compensaated with my preamp for more "balls", or at least I think I have. Thanks for any other bits of advice on this subject!

9. Play what you are comfortable with.