Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need guidance...

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by 4FaTStRInGs, May 27, 2002.

1. Mike:

I've been playing bass for almost 3 years now and I had lessons for about 6 months. My teatcher was great but I had to move town to study civil engineering. Now that I'm here I can't find a good teatcher or one that fits with my university classes. And the only school worth checking (Hot Clube in Lisbon) is pretty far from where I live. I learned the enough with the lessons to know how to read music...but that's about all I know about theory. I don't know where to turn now so I can improve my playing...that's why I'm writting you, hoping that you'll have a wise word to tell me... :)

Thanks a bunch!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    You don't need a bass teacher to teach you music theory. You can get the theory in many places - you can get a multitude of books or even find a teacher of another instrument to teach you the theory. You might want to try finding other musicians to play with. That is always a great teacher and motivator.

Take the basic technique lessons you've learned and use them as the foundation for the rest of your studies. Learn the theory elsewhere and ascribe those theories to the bass. Good luck

If you want to ask specific questions, I am always here

Mike