1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need head advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassgod76, May 19, 2011.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I haven't purchased an amp in over 11 years, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

I currently own a GK RB800 and an Eden WT-500. The GK is my spare/backup amp. I like my GK, but tonewise, it can't hold a candle to the Eden.

My buddy who plays bass in my old band has been borrowing my GK head for a few weeks. He was dead set on buying an Ampeg SVT-CL... Then he saw the price tag. In any event, he has been digging my old GK head, and now wants a GK of his own.

I told him that the GK is nice, but for a little more money, he can get a nice hybrid amp (SS power amp/ Tube preamp).

I've only owned two hybrid amps in my bass playing life (Eden WT-500 & SWR SM-400).

Here's my question:
    What hybrid amp would be a good fit to power an SWR 2X10 and 1X15 in the $300-500 range? He is looking to buy used.

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I would check out the Genz Benz product line.

3. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Genz Benz... I will look it up.
    Thanks!

4. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Any others?

5. I really like my SVT Pro 6!

6. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Is that amp hybrid and in the price range above?

7. Might find a nice used one on eBay for just a tiny bit more. It's an SVT tube front end and semi parametric eq. 1000 watts. There is literally no tone you can't out that sucker! It's awesome. I've got mine racked up with a nice Furman, rack tuner, wireless. Can't even imagine anything even remotely that nice as a young player. I've had a lot of nice rigs. But this is a great head.