Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Head for Epifani 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guru0z, Sep 6, 2003.

1. guru0z

guru0z

Aug 17, 2003
    I am purchasing an Epifani 410 and am having trouble deciding on a head to go with it. I have around $1500 to spend on the head. Any ideas? I play jazz, hip hop, gospel, and r&b.

2. Eden WT800 (bridged). Set all knobs at noon and enjoy, no twiddling and fiddling, no fuss, no muss. It's that simple.

:cool:

3. Can't argue with that. :cool:

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're back can handle it, get an Aguilar DB359, or anything all tube like an SVT or Mesa 400+. the EPifani cabs REALLY shine with some all tube action.

another great head is Mesa's Walkabout or M-Pulse 360 or 600 series. the Mesa's naturally smooth and very tubey voice was a great match to the clearer clarity of the Epi's. for price to weight to tone ratio, my pick would be the Mesa heads. :bassist:

I've heard an EA iAMP600 thru a 3x10, and tonally, was clear as a bell, and was as accurate as they come. clean clean clean. complemented one another very nicely. just dont hit the brite switch. became WAAY too brite.

i've tried a few SWR heads like a friend's SM900, but found the highs and mids to be a little harsh.

the Eden head is a great choice too, but i found the resulting tone to be a bit congested in the lower mids. still, was a cool slightly aggressive and woolly tone.

if you just want something really super lightweight, try an 6 lbs. Acoustic Image Clarus 400A. its about 300 watts into 4 ohms, and was plenty loud for my louder than loud funk rock drummer. tonally, had a sweet dark tone, and was very surprising for solid state. the EQ is very nominal, but your basses onboard EQ could easily compensate for whatever.

or you could try and wait til this october where Nick'll be unveiling his new 500 and 900 watt heads. i've heard the prototype, and DAGNABBIT, sounds incredible for his cabs. about the size of an Eden WT400 or EA iAMP350, yet pumps out twice or three times the power.