Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Head Recommendations (around $200)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by QzarBaron, Oct 18, 2005.

1. I have started playing in a band that requires me to get a rig capable of being loud enough to be heard over a loud drummer. I don't need ridicoulous amounts of power (I know a bass player in a similar band that does just fine with a 60 watt behringer), I think around 200-450 watts should be enough (I will have PA support if I am going to be playing in a larger gig).

Now the question is: can you guys recommend some good heads I can find used in the price range of around 200 dollars? Right now the main head I have been hunting for is a Peavey Nitrobass... which always seems to sell for around 200 dollars (I have lost 3 auctions for one in the past week).

If you guys can toss me some names of good reliable amps in that sell used in that price range... or if any of you know of anyone selling a good used amp that fits my budge, that would be great.

I don't want you guys recommending amps that are more expensive (I know the Firebass is a really good deal... but I don't have the extra $100). I have a pretty tight budget since I am also putting some funds towards starting a small recording label to record some local bands.

My main concern really isn't sound quality (it should be good... and punchy), I really care about reliability since I won't have a backup (I am hoping this becomes a backup someday).

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A used GK 400RB.......very reliable, very nice sounding amp!!

3. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    +1

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Another for the GK 400RB.

5. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I'd do a side by side comparisson of the Peavey and GK through the same cab and turn all the knobs and switches....etc before deciding. The GK tone is definately more desireable to most people out there and you get a good tone from almost any GK amp with almost any setting combinations, but if you take your time (and if everyone would) the Nitrobass will surprise you at what it can do.

6. The GK sounds nice... I think I may try and see if I can get my hands on one. The problem is the music stores around me don't carry good bass equipment (there is Sam Ash but they rarely have anything other than Harkets or SWRs). How is GK reliability wise? I know Peavey's are built like tanks and the used ones probably play as well as the new ones? Same for GK?

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yet another vote for the 400RB. Great deal for a good head.

8. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i bet you could find a used peavey mark IV for cheep. its a tank tough little amp with 220 watts at 4 ohms, has 2 channels, eq's, prametric eq, etc etc. I loved mine in HS.

oh, wait, it;s not little!! ;-)

the gk 400 is a nice amp, and frankly either one is fine. buy one cheep, and if you dont like it sell it back on ebay.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've said this before....I've had my GK over 20 years, I haven't even blown a fuse :cool: That one on e-bay seems like a nice deal!!

10. Keep your eyes open for a peavey alphabass. 200 all tube watts, and very versatile. They seem to go for 200+ if you can find one.