1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Headphone Amp Advice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which will be used for recording band practice but it only has 2 stereo outputs.

what headphone amp will give me at least 6 or 7 more people the ability to hear the mix and possibly let them mix their own mix?

the easier the product the better for me.

im not even sure how this will be done coming out of the 2 outputs into a headphone amp.

trying to keep this around $400 or so or under

this might even be able to be done with the saffire but im really dumb when it comes to recording so i have no idea how this is done

any ideas?

thanks!!!

2. Try something like 2 of these, one on each headphone output http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/morgan-acoustics-4way-stereo-headphone-splitter-box--18403

Very cheap, you may have to crank the volume a bit once all musicians are listening off of 2 headphone outs, but it should do the job and the saffire should have enough 'push' to get enough volume to the musicians unless you are recording very loud. Maybe buy 1 first and check it the saffire can drive all 4 headphone outs properly at the same time.

Failing that, just drive the headphones off of the analog outs of the saffire. Either set up a bus in the DAW to feed mulitple outs with the same thing, or give each musician a separate mix. The analog outs should drive headphones ok, just be safe with levels just incase the line out of the saffire exceeds the input level of the heaphones you are using. Should be fine though, generally line level is a little below headphone level.

3. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    that seem like a good cheap solution but i wish i could get that in the united states. i was hoping to use it for practice next tue.

was also thinking about this:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HeadAmp6Pro/

is this any good and would it do the trick?

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I have one, use it in the studio, and love it. Read the manual to see if it meets your application needs, but it works for us. From my PA I can take a line from the channel insert to the aux in on the headphone amp. The stereo out (or monitor out) on the PA to the main stereo in on the headphone amp. The channel balance control on the headphone amp controls the balance between the aux in and the main stereo in ... to "get more me in the monitor". If you need more channels, these units can be daisy-chained.

5. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    the only thing i don't get is since the focusrite has monitor 1 and monitor 2 how/where would i connect them to the headphone amp? My guess would be monitor 1 to left channel and monitor 2 to the right in the balanced input section?

6. Depends on what the monitor outs are. If you are talking outputs on the back of the card designed to go into speakers then yes you would go 1 to left, 2 to right. If by monitor outs you mean where you usually plug headphones in then no, headphone outs already ARE stereo, just in one jack you'd need a TRSJack>DualTSJack cable. Ie one stereo plug one end, 2 mono plugs the other to go into left and right.

That is, assuming the headphone box doesn't already have a stereo TRS jack input, a couple do.

You could come out of any spare outputs on your soundcard into the headphone box if you buy a full on amp like the ART, than drive those outputs by send in the DAW, thats a very flexible setup.

You will be able to get those cheap little splitters in the US no problem, just search for 'passive headphone splitter', i'm sure most big online audio stores will carry something similar!