1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need held with an alternate tuning.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taylorro, Nov 4, 2013.

1. taylorro

taylorro

May 30, 2013
    Michigan
    I want to tune my jazz 5 string to c#, as I ride the open a lot. I have my 4 strings tuned to c# but I would like to get my 5string set up for it too just because my 4strings are active and I am looking for a passive tone.

I know my options are g#, c#, g#, c#, f# which kinda seems like a waste or tune the entire 5 string up to c#, g#, c#, f#, a#. What tension should I use to set up a bass like this?

I play pop punk, post hardcore, metalcore stuff in this tuning.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    What string gauges are you using now for the 4 string?

3. I use .145 for low g#. I tend to go back and forth between daddario XL (nickelwound), daddario pro steels, or DR DDT. If you wanted to add a high a# probably something in the mid 30s would do fine. I use a .30 for high C but i just tried tuning it down to a# and it was a little floppy. Not unusable though so you might like it. Specific strings recommendations will have a lot to do with what strings you use already. If your using a .120 for low c# i would recommend something different than if you used a 110 for c#. Look for balance

I actually play a 7 string tuned g#beadgc as opposed to f#beadgc so other than the .145 the rest of my strings are pretty standard gauges

4. Well for pop punk, post hardcore, and metal stuff I like my string tension to be about 25lbs or about 50lbs bipolar right I know.
    Anyway tune each string to the tension you like best, find where your at on your tuner, then buy singles until you have your set.I suggest http://circlekstrings.com/ use their tension chart.If that doesn't do it for you try http://www.bassstringsonline.com/