1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help 2 find the best bass guitar for rock :D

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MariaM, Mar 28, 2009.

1. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    Hi,
    I am norwegian,
    so sorry for my crappy english...

I hope someone can help me.

I am a bass player.
    I have been playing the bass for 5 years.
    Electric bass and double bass.

I have been playing pop and rock music.

Now I want to buy an extra electric bass guitar.
    I am playing in a new rockband (something between ac/dc and guns n´roses), so I want a bass with a rock sound.
    I play with plekter.

The bass I am looking for has a good rock sound.
    It is short scale or medium scale (I am short and I am a girl).

I have been looking at Fender jazzbass and Fender Precision.
    But I don´t know the difference between them.

I also love the look of the Rickenbacker, but does it have a rock-sound?

Any other recommendations?
    Ps-I don´t want Ibanez, I have one already.

I really hope someone can give my an advice or two.
    I wont shoot you if you say theese questions are stupid,
    I know I should know more about bass guitars after 5 years,
    but I have focused on playing:bassist::bag: *lol*

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The Jazz, Precision, and Rickenbacker are 3 of the most played rock basses out there. Musicman is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head.

Any of those would be perfect. IF at all possible, try them all out and compare. See which one you like the most. Thats the best, most accurate way.

:bassist:

3. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Go for the rick! It has the most "rock" look (Lemmy, anyone?) and sound to match! Sure, the jazz and the precision have what it takes, but a girl with a rick is just plain irresistible! :ninja:

4. I'm just thinking "JAZZ JAZZ JAZZ!"

5. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    Oh! Lemmy??? Really? LOL:hyper: My boyfriend would love me! Lemmy is his Idol and he used to play in a Motorhead coverband him being Lemmy *hehehe* I didn´t know he had a rickenbacker I didn´t pay attention:eek::D Here is a picture of the rickenbacker I am currently dreaming about:::

Is it really a rock bass? I feel stupid for my lack of knowledge:bag::D

Attached Files:

6. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    If you have the dough, go for it. But I'm biased, since a rick is my dream bass... But yeah, go for it! :)

Obligatory Lemmy pic:

motorhead-lemmy1.

7. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    Thank you so much Jordasch.
    I actually looked @ a Music Man bass today (used but in good condition for 1500 $) I think mabe it is short scale... Or is it an optic illusion?:hyper: All the four bass guitars you mention here, can be good for me. I am going to a local music shop next week, to try some bass guitars. I know it is important to try out the different types. But I want to prepare, so I know what exactly to look for :)

By the way.. Everyone is saying so much positive about Rickenbackers. I have never tried one, and never heard the sound- BUT I admit I am madly in love with how it looks! It is so sexy *lol*

Is it possible to hear a Rickenbacker at net? Does anyone know an artist who recorded the album with it? So I can listen to? Aurhch!!!! I could really wish the store was open.. Everyone has headed home for the week end:hyper::bawl:

Attached Files:

8. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    LOL there is a girlband in my hometown Bergen which has a female bassplayer with a Rickenbacker:D And she plays like a mad angry man from xxxx LOL And shes actually cute too :bassist: The band is called Lovebugs

Other bands/artists from my town known outside Norway is Ane Brun, Ida Maria, Datarock, Major Parkinson and Sondre Lerche:D Just namedropping LOL

9. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    Why are you saying jazz?

10. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    And I'm moving to Sweden! DAMN! SO close! :D :D :D

11. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    You can a hear a Rickenbacker on any Yes album (I recommend Fragile), any Motorhead album, early Rush (Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings, Caress Of Steel, 2112, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres), and early Genesis (Foxtrot).

12. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    reeeally? Stockholm?:D hehe

13. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    All the basses mentioned here are perfect for rock, so it may come down to how your fingers feel on the different necks.

I've always preferred my '64 Jazz Bass neck to any other since my fingers are really
    too short for a P-Bass.
    I loved the tone of my Rick, but you have to watch carefully for neck twist and intonation issues in a used one.

Early Music Man's are fantastic basses.

The lightest bass you could own would be a Hofner 501, but the other basses
    are honestly far superior in build quality and versatility.

14. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    Thank you soo much, I am now downloading a lot of files, and is excited like a 5year old in a candy store to hear the Rick :D LOL

15. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    Thank you FFTT for good advices, especially on the used Rickenbackers. It can happen I go for a used one, and these warnings are priceless :O)

What is the difference of the necks on a precision and a jazzbass? Is the Precision neck wider or longer? Or both?

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Absolutely! :bassist: The Ric really shines in a rock context (actually, I can't recall having seen/heard a Ric in a jazz setting).

17. was looking at a fender aerodyne for this sorta tone, would anybody be able to +1 this idea?

18. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    If you're looking for a short/medium scale, I think an original Fender Urge would be perfect. They don't make them anymore, but you can usually find them dirt cheap on eBay (~300-400 USD) Rickenbackers are totally rock too, though. I'll also put in my own biased opinion for the Peavey Zodiac (especially the Scorpio DE).

19. MariaM

MariaM

Mar 28, 2009
    Norway
    Me neither, because I have been playing alot jazz lately
    - and then it´s my double bass (picture) so of course I want something instrument totally else for my rock band *LOL*

Attached Files:

20. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Beautiful bass!