1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help, 5 string set for 34 inch scale Tobias 5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, May 26, 2012.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have a Tobias Growler 5. I went tot restring it and was putting on a DR set of Lo Rider 5's. I noticed that the string did not taper at the post and when I tried to put it on, it broke at the post. I need suggestions for a 5 string set for a 34 scale bass that the strings taper closer to the nut so I can get the tapered portion of the string on the post and not have to wind the full thickness of a B to it? Does that make any sense?

2. Try D'Addario XL's. On a 35" scale length the B winding ends before the nut slot, so on a 34" it would probably end less than an inch past. Really, though, the string should not have broke just because the taper was wound on the post. It may have been a defective string.

3. It doesn't look like your B string post is but an 1/8th of an inch shorter than my Zon. If that is the case, Circle K, LaBella Slappers, the afore mentioned D' Addario XL's, and Ken Smith Burners should all work. Your last set may have been for a long scale instrument.

4. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Lake Placid, FL
    The DR's are long.... same thing happened to me with a set of Marcus Miller strings.... I believe they are longer for a string-thru body setup... that's my best guess anyway I emailed DR but never got a response. A quick google search revealed that it is just how they are made. (I was putting them on a 34" scale Cort GB25, but it looks like they would be too long on my Jazz V too.)

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I think you guys are right about them being made for string through basses. I have typically not had problems with DR's but at the cost of this set that was basically ruined by the Broken B and the last set I got with a dead E....I think it may be time to go back to Smith's, EB's or try some of the other guys you suggested.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  7. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Dunlops, 34" MTD saratoga string through bridge. Might have that issue if I top load the B but I never do.