Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help about Fender Duck Dunn P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Feb 28, 2002.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is it good or even great? Any coments, pros/cons are welcomed. How do they compare to other Fenders MIM, MIA and vintagereissues?
    I found one used in mint cond, but I have to make up my mind quick or else it´ll be gone.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    HELP!;)

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Patience, grasshopper. The Donald Duck Dunn sig was a limited run, which means there weren't many made. This topic has been discussed occasionally, and no one pipes up, so I'm assuming no one on the board owns one personally. (Prove me wrong!) They were MIJ, which puts them somewhere between MIM and MIA in quality. As a useless piece of info, Dunn now uses a Lakland Bob Glaub signature model almost exclusively.

4. That may be the most usefull piece of info given.
    I have yet to play one or see one but I would think if a company was going to make a bass, and put your name on it you would tend to play the bass.

Unless you didn't like the quality.

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    How is it any diffrent from a normal MIJ P-Bass?

6. Rocco has a signature model P-Bass too, but he's been using a Conklin for awhile.

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Just because it's not "better" than a Lakland doesn't mean it's a bad bass. If Donald chose to play a Rogue or something, we could assume that the signature bass sucked big time, but a Lakland is pretty hard to beat, atleast according to the hot-snot reviews they get.

As always though, I have no first-hand experience with anything. :(

8. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    You're proven wrong. However, I've answered his questions already on the FDP.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dunn bass is a replica of the mid-60s P-Bass that Dunn played during the 60s and 70s. It is not nor was it at its inception intended to be Dunn's "current" bass. It is a replica of the classic P that Dunn used for many classic recordings. Very much like the Geddy Lee Jazz bass.

I've played one in a music store years ago and my impression was that it is a very good mid-60s P replica with a nice color and great (typical Fender MIJ) build quality. I liked it.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Not sure "almost excusively" is correct. The last time I saw him with Neil, he was playing his old '58 Fender. Same thing on the Neil DVD recently released. A year or so ago, OTOH, he was playing the Lakland on SNL.

11. I would too, if I could afford one. Even more drooling is in order for the Bob Glaub P5 on the Lakland drawing board right now. But, yikes! The price..

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Didn't he use the signature model in "Blues Brother's 2000"?

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    As always, I could be wrong. I'm just going by what I've seen and what others have told me. How about, "He uses a Lakland Bob Glaub signature alot." ?

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Correctamundo, my good man!

15. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I tried one in a store a long time ago.It had thin "vintage" frets.I guess you either like those or you don't.I personally don't but ymmv.And the strings on the one I played were so dead you couldn't tell if the bass had any liveliness,but it didn't seem to.But that was just one bass and fenders differ even among the same model.Another thing I seem to remember was it had a thick laquer finish on the neck,some people don't like that but it doesn't bother me.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That's why I hate trying out used basses. (I assume that one was brand new though) The strings are always so old that the windings are pulling apart on at the headstock and when you play it, it just sounds like "Ka-Thud". No matter how great a bass is, it's going to sound like crap with 5 year old strings on it. :rolleyes:

17. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well I tried it and I bougth it. I LOVE it. It´s just as good as the USA 57 reissue I A/Bed it against but the Dunn has a slimmer neck more like the 70´s P-basses. I cant find anything wrong with the construction. Well the tuners are a bit cheep looking but I will upgrade to vintage reverse tuners that basses from the era this one tries to replicate had in the first place.

18. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Congratulations,jock!
    Now,do I get a cigar ? (j/k)

and L/M,you are right,it was a brand new bass,although NOS may have been more acurate.

19. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Does anyone know if MIJ pups have cloth covered wires? Mine has. Is it an upgrade?:confused: