1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help adjusting action

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bass dan, Aug 28, 2007.

1. i was considering lowering the action on my upton hybrid. i do play bluegrass so i had it set up accordingly. i have only been playing upright for about 3 months, but am having trouble getting around on my bass, thought lowering it may help. do i need to loosen the tension on the strings to do this? i tried to turn the adjusters but they wouldnt budge either way. when i originally put my bridge on my bass i ended up slinging the bridge across the room when it slipped out from the tension of the strings and of course the feet and adjusters went with it. maybe i put the adjusters upside down? im a little gun shy to mess around with it to much ( the sound of the tailpeice slapping the front of a bass is one that is not soon forgotten). any advise is welcome and appreciated.

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Assuming the bridge is intact and on there correctly, loosen the strings somewhat and carefully turn each adjuster by exactly the same amount. Easy does it.

3. a more appropriate thought: call gary or eric and explain your concerns. i'm sure they'll help you suss it out.

jeff.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    An appropriate thought for sure, but maybe not "more appropriate." The info I passed on was originally from Gary Upton.