Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help adjusting Eden amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sfbass, Aug 25, 2003.

1. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi,
    I just got an Eden WT-550 and had two questions about its use if anyone can help:

1. There's an LED on the amp that the manual refers to as the "set level" indicator, and that it should light up periodically to indicate the input level is at its sweet spot. For my life I haven't been able to get that thing to light up even once, so I didn't know if I have something adjust incorrectly on my bass or amp.

2. Okay, I know this is subjective depending on if you're trying to overdrive the amp, etc., but for normal/general/clean/everyday sound, how do people set the Gain and Master volumes??? Yesterday was my first rehearsal with the amp and I needed a lot of volume, so I ended up just putting both knobs at about 2 or 3 o'clock. But would it be "better" to have the first Gain up all the way and then just turn the Master up a little?? (I know the reverse produces overdrive) I really have never understood the correct way to set pre and post volume knobs.

Thanks for your help

2. Turn the master very low, then turn up the pre until you hear distortion while playing. Back off slightly and keep it there. (Bass should be full volume). Then adjust the master for your room volume. This sequence maximizes signal-to-noise ratio.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Dakine is correct. Also, by turning up your pregain, it should trigger the input LED that you mentioned. Set it so that it blinks only on your loudest, hardest hit notes, and you should be right where you need it to be.

By the sounds of it, you have a passive bass? Make sure the input pad is off (if the 550 has one, that is).

4. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Eric: My bass is an active bass, and actually it's an 18-volt Bartolini system so I'd like to think it's got a pretty high output.

Also, I just wanted to make sure we're talking about the "set level" indicator as when you referred to the "hardest, loudest hit notes" it sounds like you could be referring to the compressor indicator LED.

Thanks

5. He'd be referring to the set level light. This will set your pre gain to the optimum S/N/

6. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, I did some experimenting when I got home and here's what I found...so please let me know if this sounds correct:

As I mentioned, I could not get the "set level" light to come on even once. Basically, what I realized is that if the compressor is on, the compressor's LED will light but not the "set level" one.

However, if I turn the compressor off, the set level light DOES come on...so, it seems like it's one or the other, but never both.

Is this the way it works??? I didn't really get that from the owner's manual (not like there was much in there!), but from what I understood, the optimum level shouldn't have anything to do with whether the compressor is on or not.

Thanks again for your help.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    That doesn't sound right to me. I don't have a 550, I have a Navigator and have used an 800, but they should be essentially the same in this regard. Perhaps you have the compressor set too hard and its keeping the pre-level down? I dunno.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    TIP: after getting you "set level" set after turning down the compression, try bringing the compression back up. this will bring the volume of the quieter sounds in your tone closer to the louder sounds. I wish my amp had a compressor because it can help you tone sound richer if used properly and if you slap and pop it will take some of the spikes out of your playing that hurt ears and speakers/tweeters.

I was just looking at the panel on the 550. does the manual explain that "enhance" in really engaging the compressor??

9. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    You mentioned adjusting the compression and "set level" seperately, but so far I can only really do one or the other. If compression is on, set level light doesn't light up, and vice versa.

As for the enhance knob affecting compression, that could be but the manual just states how it boosts some frequencies and cuts others. I'm not entirely certain but I think the compressor is adjusted automatically when you set your Gain control.

10. You are correct that you will see either the Set Level or Compressor LEDs, but NOT both.

If the compressor is defeated, you should set the gain to where the Set Level LED lights on transients. When using the compressor, the amount of compression is indicated by the degree that the compression LED lights up. Back off on the Gain for less compression.

Generally you want to have enough gain at the input of the amplifier to provide the rest of the amplifier with a healthy signal, thus maximizing your signal to noise ratio. After the input is adjusted to light up the LED, set your preferred volume level with the Master. If you keep the Gain low and the Master high, you will hear a lot more hiss.

As for EQ adjustment, many people set everything flat with the Enhance all the way off, while others like to dial in Enhance to taste. I like the sound of the Enhance control in the range from 9:00 to 12:00 with subtle adjustment of the EQ section.

If you simply need a little more or less bass or treble, adjust the shelving Bass and Treble controls.

The middle semi-parametric EQ section is very powerful and suitable for more specific tonal modifications. Using the sweeps, find the frequencies that you want to boost or cut and adjust to taste. With the Eden EQ, a little does a lot. One parametric EQ trick is sweeping through the frequencies with a substantial amount of gain to find an offending frequency, then backing off on the gain at that frequency until the desired result is achieved.

There are lots of tones to be had from your Eden amplifier if you take the time to familiarize yourself with all the controls. The semi-parametric EQ section is probably the hardest to master, but a very powerful tone shaping tool.