Need help/advice from modulus users and those with gotoh tuners...problem w/ a tuner.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jul 27, 2004.

1. I just bought a used modulus on arrived today and I noticed some excessive tension on the tuning peg/key for the D-string while trying to tune the bass up. Upon further inspection, I noticed that all the tuners had a little rubber bushing/washer type thing between the 2 metal washers on the tuning key. BUT, the D-string's tuner did not. I loosened up the tension as to not damage the tuner at all, but now I am wondering how I fix this or where I go to get a rubber washer that will fit in there. If anyone knows what to do in this situation or can help me, step by step directions/advice would be fantastic. As you can imagine, getting a brand new bass and not being able to play it is absolutely killing me right now.

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I had this exact problem on my spector's low B string a few months ago. The plastic thing snapped right off while I was tuning. So, I took it into the shop where I bought it because i didnt want there to be any chance of me messing up the tuner in an attempt to fix it. They put a new one on and the tuner works perfectly now. I know that those washers are easy to come by and any quality technician should have one and should be able to put it on. If you're intent on doing it yourself I think its just a matter of taking the string off and unscrewing the triangle "key" part of the tuner. Hope this helps.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. Graham,

You will need this spacer on the tuner for it to work right. Without it, you'll have to tighten down on the screw and push the worm gear in there further than it's supposed to go. If you leave the screw looser, the thing is gonna back out when you loosen your strings. The spacer keeps tension between the tuner handle and the worm.

I was missing 2 on a friend's used bass. I looked around the house and found a piece of nylon tube that fit the shaft. I cut it to size and it worked ok. Since virtually all of these types of tuners are alike, you should not have a big problem finding some replacements at a music shop.

Good luck..