Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help/Advice on Installing Graphite Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Saint, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    :help:

I'm in the process of building my newest bass which will mainly consist of a Warmoth body (with contoured heel) and a Moses Graphite Jazz Neck.

Well, I had the neck, just got the body and now I've gone into a state of panic over how to handle the graphite neck.
    I've successfully built a bolt on bass before, but that was with a wood neck.

I have the moses threaded insert kit, but am really concerned about how to install the neck (and the tuners into the neck) because I've never worked with graphite or with the threaded brass inserts before. I'm particularly concerned with whether I"m going to need alot more power in my drill press (really a heavy duty hand drill mounted on an aftermarket guide)

Can anyone out there who's had experience with installing graphite necks please share some insight into the proceedure?

Thanks much!

2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    i have done this the wrong way and the right way. the wrong way was using a low speed makita drill for the insert holes. i ended up chipping away at the graphite with a low speed drill. i sent the neck back to moses for repair and followed the directions!! USE A HIGH SPEED DRILL PRESS!! the results are perfection. might want to use a depth set, too. i used a piece of masking tape around the drill bit. install the slotted end of the insert DOWN. if not they wont be tight enough to hold the neck in securely. take your time!!! before drilling mark out the holes with the screws in the neck plate, or get a drill bit that just barely fits in the body holes and twist!! that should give you just enough of a mark to drill the holes. enjoy your bass!

jason

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks! Anyone else?

4. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    What constitutes a "high speed drill"? My drill is 1/3 hp and moves at up to 1200 RPM. Do I need something more powerfull?

5. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    What constitutes a "high speed drill"? My drill is 1/3 hp and moves at up to 1200 RPM. Do I need something more powerfull Anyone?????

6. idealtracks

idealtracks Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    I successfully did this with two basses a good while back. I didn't use a drill press, but used my Sears Craftsman drill, marking the drill bit with tape.

My advice is: be carefull! Drilling through graphite is like going through butter once you get started!

I used a slightly different drill bit size than the one Moses recommended, and it worked perfectly. See this old thread here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34313

Good luck!

7. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks JohnMark. BTW, did you end up using a brad point bit on your second neck?

8. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    One more thing: can anyone tell me how they mounted their tuners on the graphite neck? Normally you would just use a wood screw, but you can't do that on graphite --at least I don't think so. Any advice would be appreciated.

9. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks to JohnMark for answering my question: yes, you do use a standandard wood screw to mount the tuners. Worked just fine with my moses neck and hipshot ultralites.