Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help (advice) on what flats to get.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist15, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    IVE played bass for about a year and ive always jsut used teh strings that have came on the bass which im guessing are Roundwounds(Am i right?) But im getting ready to get a MIM Jazz Bass and I was thinking about getting some flats to string on it ? Any advice on what to look for . I dont want strings that will mess with the neck to where i would haev to adjust the tress rod , which ive read that happens . Ive seen the Fender flats keep getting mentioned , are they something that could work without bending my neck outta shape?

2. TI Jazz flats have the lowest tension. They are pretty bright for a flat. They will mellow your Jazz bass and you loose growl.
    Lots of low end thump but the E string can feel somewhat floppy especially with a top loader.
    D'Addario Chromes are a good choice. Fairly bright, medium tension which feel better to me.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

You have a fretless?

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I have a fretless but thats not the bass im gonna put the flats on. IVe heard a few big time bassist (Willie Weeks, Lenny Kravtiz) who said they strung their basses with flats . I want a string that will give me the old school sound. But again dont want it bending my neck.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Fender 9050ML's sound great on a MIM jazz IMHO.

Sure, you may need to set up the bass after putting them on. But don't expect the neck to get damaged from them.

I currently have those on my MIM pBass deluxe, which has a jazz neck. The neck is just fine. These strings also seem to get a bit easier to play as they break in, and will give you a good old school sound.

Good luck! :hyper:

6. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    What do you mean by "you may need to set up the bass after putting them on" ??

7. Anytime you take strings off of a neck (to place new ones on) and change the type of string, you release and add different amounts of tension on the neck. Switching from roundwounds to flatwounds is going to require a setup by a professional.

The action will change and the strings might/will buzz against the frets a lot more than your old roundwounds.

There is no way to get around this. Unless of course, you never change strings.

It doesn't mess up the neck, but you're going to want to go get a $30 setup to get the best playability from your new strings.

8. Basses are designed be adjusted to handle a variety of strings, that's why the truss rod is there and why string height and length are also adjustable. Go to the "Set Up" forum and read the stickies.

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

The Fender flats are higher tension than the roundwounds that came on the bass. So, it's gonna put a bow in the neck.

As the others have said, thats why you have a truss rod.