Need help - amp troubles...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Hey.
    OK, recently I've been fiddling with my amp settings a lot - comparing sounds between cutting instead of boosting, playing flat etc.

I have a Trace GP12SMX AH250 and a Trace 2x10 8 ohm.

I managed to find a sound that sounded alright when the graphic EQ was cut instead of my usual "seagul" of boosting. However, I decided I liked it more meaty and changed back to the seagul-look.
    It's been really, really quiet - no matter what settings I use.

I'm certain it's the amp, becuase this doesn't seem like a cab issue - I guess maybe my tweeter in the cab is buggered? I have it set at 11 oclock on the attenuater.
    Cables work with my PA and instrument cable works perfectly when I plug straight into my PC.

My "gig" volume is usually 3/4 on the input and 4/5 on the output. In the house the loudest I could go would be 2/3 - after that the house start shaking, and things break. Right now, however, I'm at 5/5(!!) and thats close to the max "house" volume!

Ever since I got my amp, there has been a dodgy preshape switch - so this could be anything from a capacitor or resister in that part of the circuitery - however, after having a "warm up" time, the amp has performed perfectly.

My initial thoughts are that a tube, or both are dying. My amp is an early 90's model and I have no clue as when the tubes were last replaced. i've tried turning the blend knob to 100% SS, yet the volume issue still occurs, which led me to think that this is related to a power section.

I'm pretty bummed. I have a gig in 2 weeks, and we were going to use my amp. I don't trust many music shops/know very little of amp tech's reputations in my area, so I'm hoping I can learn from this...
    please help.. :crying:
  2. bump...

may i also add i play 2 passive basses.
    my grabber usually has an outstanding difference in volume, which is not noticable at all...

i yet to try different head/cab combinations, will do tomorrow...

/ bump :help:
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Microbass, call and talk with the guys at GM Audio. Yea they are in Essex UK but these guys know Trace. Here is their contact info:
    GM Audio Services Limited
    Unit 5
    Moat Lodge Industrial Estate
    CM9 4AA

Tel: 01621 853490
    Mob: 07919 404895

If they can't help (even though I'm sure they can) contact British Audio Service here in the states.

Contact Info:
    British Audio Service
    2019 Granart Road
    Sugar Grove, IL 60554

Phone: (630) 556-4414
    Fax: (630) 406-0120
    Tech Support:

Something is definately wrong with your amp but its going to take a tech to get it sorted out. Good luck and don't give up!