Need help and advice with my Stingray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Philthy, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I presently have a newer (2000 or 2001) EB MM Stingray 4 string with Maple neck. I play thru an SWR 750 Head w/ goliath III and S.O.B. cabs.

I've noticed a couple of things/issues when playing my stingray that I would like some help and advice:

-When I play on he high frets (12th and up), it seems as though it sounds as there is an ever so slight flanger/chorus effect on when it comes thru the amp. I'm not using any effects, obviously. I'm just playing straight thru the amp. Maybe it's me, maybe it's my ears but I don't notice it on my other bass including my Stingray 5. Any one else every experience that? Is it something that a simple set up can fix? Any suggestions?

-I've also noticed that the G string seems very dead lately, especially when I play around the 9th & 10th fret. The strings on the is bass are only a month old. I only play about once to twice a week for 2 to 3 hours each. The other strings seem fine. Is this a set up issue as well?

Speaking of set ups, do you other stingray owners notice that your necks need to be adjusted often? Maybe it's me, but it seems that I'm almost in constant need of a set up. Is it possible that I have a weak trust rod or something?

Thanks for your help and advice. Much appreciated.
  2. The weird effect you've talked about is likely from the maple neck IMO. Hard, resonant necks can bring out some really strange harmonics under some string/setup conditions. I've got a Kawai with a neck like this that allows you to hear 3 distinct harmonic tones for every fretted note. It really took some getting used to.

The G string could have just gone bad. It happens. It would be unusual IMO to have a true "dead spot" that high up on the neck - especially a maple neck.

Hope this helps