1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moodog, Apr 24, 2009.

1. moodog

moodog

Dec 15, 2005
    I'm recording a track that needs a fretless bass on it. Trouble is I don't have a fretless bass.

Is there anything I could do like putting a board or something over the fretboard of my fretted bass to pull off a fretless bass type sound just temporarily?

TIA

2. Buy a dirt cheap one? or a normal bass n pull the frets out? I did that n it worked bang on!

Then i smashed it thinking i was rock n' roll after finishing a set on 'Rape Me'

3. WordToHerb

WordToHerb

Mar 12, 2007
    New Jersey
    this may not be the most practical idea but if you have a jazz or p bass you could buy a fretless neck from warmoth and put that on temporarily. It would sound better then buying a cheap bass and might actually be cheaper.

Other then that SX basses and squire make a nice cheap fretless.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Where are you at? Maybe you could rent a fretless, or a local TBer might be willing to lend you his.

5. moodog

moodog

Dec 15, 2005
    Thank you for the suggestions. The problem I have is the only standard bass I own that I could get a swap out fretless neck for is a Fender Tele bass. All the necks I've seen cheap on ebay are P-bass and Jazz. The Tele bass has a different shaped groove in the body where the neck joins. I don't think it would work.

6. how bout a multi-effects pedal? There are many with fretless simulator effects, some are pretty darn good.