Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help. Anybody tried Trace Elliot preamp for acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by goran, Aug 13, 2003.

1. goran

goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Croatia
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    Recently I started thinking about buying separate pre/power amp to drive my Peavey box with 1 15". (Thanks a lot to all of you TB-ers, I learned a lot on this site). A friend told me that he knows a man who sells his Trace Elliot preamp, but he didn't know anything about it. I thought it was famous GP-12SMX or maybe V-type tube preamp.
    It turned out to be something I have never seen or heard about it before. It is supposed to be preamp for acoustic bass.

Features are (ones that I can remember, as it is not in front of me now):
    -gain
    -Two channels:
    1st with input for piezo & input for hi-gain (active electronics)
    2nd with input for microphone
    controls for low and high freq. for both channels
    -graphic equalizer: 100Hz, 330Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz and 10kHz
    -notch on/off with level control
    -master (pull-activates preshape)
    -something with harmonics, but I can't remember what)
    -effects send-return, line out (x2 i think)
    -there are a few more switches (?) and inputs (?)

Do you think it would be suitable for electric bass? I have Fender Jazz Deluxe. I know that I'm the only one who can say if it suits me, but did any of you owned/used it. How do you like it? Please post your impessions.

Only reason I think that it might not be for electric bass is eq: 100Hz is the lowest.

I am so interested in it because of it's price - only 170 euros (about 170$). It is used on 3 gigs and price for new one is about 400$.