Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help arranging my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Apr 5, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm getting a completely new rig soon with everything I will ever need. In it I will have SWR 750x head, Sabine RT-7000 tuner, Tech 21 Sansamp RBI, Boss SE-50 multi-effects, Boss NS-50 noise suppressor, Furman RP-8 power conditioner and a Pro Audio Rack Light into an SWR Goliath Sr. How in the world should I arrange this. What shoud I run through what!? Please someone make me a diagram.

~Patrick

2. Wow!...lotso stuff...I would start with the Furman on top with all the power cords plugged into it...mount the Light unit underneath it....(I'm working on the LOOKS right now...). Use the effects loop of the 750...

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Also, sell the RBI, SE-50, and NS-50. Especially the NS-50. Then you'll be set.

To be honest, if you don't know how to hook them up, you don't know how to use them. They're just going to be sources of confusion for you by introducing a infinity of reasons why you can't get the tone you want. Just plug the 750x into the Goliath and learn how that works. Once you're comfortable with that, maybe plug in something else. For the life of me, I can't see what function an RBI would serve with that amp. The noise suppressor is just going to piss you off. The multi-effects will have approximately two useful sounds. The tuner is good.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What Munji said...the Bass 750 is an awesome on it's own, you don't really need effects...however, if you decide to keep the effects, run them throught the side chain effects loop, and use the tuner out jack to go into your tuner.

Have fun!

5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

I was a gear freak, until I just said NO MORE MADNESS!!! Got rid of the BBE, and the Peavey Bass Fex, the Alesis graphic EQ, the Furman PQ3 and the dBX Compressor, chunked the Chorus pedal, and just plugged into the Alembic F1X and power amp.

Blew me away how darn GOOD it actually sounded.

In my rack now I have just a power & light strip w/ a integrated tuner ( Furman PL Tuner) a Pre and a power amp. The signal to the tuner is taken off the "Low Out" off the Alembic F1X. It's not in the signal chain. Pure, clean, simple. DONE.

6. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    keep the 750, the Goliath, and the tuner. Either take back or do not buy the rest of that s**t. The 750 was my amp for about a year. I played it through a Son Of Bertha and a Goliath Jr. I can tell you that you definately do not need all of that stuff. If need be, run a parametric eq to taste through your effects loop. That is only if you need a little more tone shapping than what is provided. A Yamaha NE-1 is what I used. It worked fine and sounded great.

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    BTW, the SansAmp is a "tube emulating" solid state preamp. The SWR 750 has a tube preamp. What Munji said, the SansAmp serves no purpose here. You do not need a preamp (SA) to reproduce a tube sound when your 750 is equiped with the real deal, REAL TUBES. Also, the noise supressor and the other stuff is unneeded as well. WASTE O MONEY.

8. You could sell me the SansAmp for my studio...

99% of my playing is Bass+Amp+Speaker. No FX...

But, I may bring out a pedal here soon for an off-the-wall solo...

9. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I could understand keeping the SansAmp, but not for use as a pre.

My F1X has a DI, but no level control. I don't like that. For those RARE occassions where sending a signal to a board is called for and I use my rig for on-stage monitoring, the SansAmp would be useful, but I'd keep it as an add-on. The Bass Driver pedal would perform the same function, and would cost less. Plus save a rack space, and save on additional weight & bulkiness. However, the line to the board belongs to the sound guy. So a level control isn't really necessarry. Let HIM deal with what comes out of the mains.

The 750x HAS an XLR out and a mode switch for the XLR so that it can be used as a Direct, Line, or Direct + EFX kind of set up. No mention of a level control. So in actuality, you really don't need either the RBI or the Bass Driver pedal.

I say again, K.I.S.S., dump all the FX stuff and just go with the 750x, a tuner and a power strip. The Furman PL-Tuner combines both a tuner and a power strip AND rack lights (if that's important to you) so you could get that with all the dough you're about to shell out, and save your back!!

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    No...You guys must of misunderstood my question. I asked for some help of the arrangement I should put these in. Not if I should get them or not. Thank you, Sobie18, for helping me out as much as you can. I know what I need and want, and I don't need anyone telling me otherwise. I'm not stupid at all about equipment. I just simply would like to know, if you had all this euipment, how would you hook it up. Wow! I've never seen so much misunderstanding of one question.

~Patrick

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I ain't trying to diss you man, but going back to what Munji said...if you need opinions on how to set it up/arrange it, then don't use it.

There's a lot of valid advise given here, you should take time to consider what's necessary in your rig and what's not.

12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    What, pray tell, are you going to do with two preamps, 1 power section, a noise suppresor AND an FX unit?

Help us out by telling us what you plan on doing with it all? All I see is (insert static sound, looooooooooong sections of hiss and loud chirps and bleeps. Now add smoke coming out of the cabs ..... and then, the house lights go dark, not because the show's getting ready to start, but because the power's been shorted)

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Holy moly! I thought I'd be going it solo on this one. Anyway, what you're going to end up with is too many knobs. I, too, am a gear freak. I bought a POD, sold it. I have a lot of other gear, but I don't use it all at one time. I suppose I could run my Avalon U5 into the front end of my WT-800, or out the back end. After all, the U5 is one of the best DIs around. But it's just another distraction from getting "my tone." When used by itself to get into the PA or recording console, it rules.

I suppose you think that noise limiter is going to solve all the racket that'll be generated by those gizmos in your chain. Hahahahaha. I guarantee you the noise gate will be history within a day. It'll drive you nuts. Your rig will be perfectly quiet until you play a note. Then all that hiss and crap will ride your signal right through your amp and into your cab. Your audience will love it.

K.I.S.S.

14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Dang...

Talk about conspicuous consumption... GC must love you.

15. 1. Plug everything into the Power Conditioner
    2. Plug your bass into the 750 input
    3. Come out of the 750's effect send into the RBI-> Boss Effects->Tuner-> Noise gate-> Effects return (750)-> Speaker Cab. After you've played it this way for a while, unplug the both the effects return and see if you like the tone better. Good Luck

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I don't mean to come off as a jerk, but you must understand where I am coming from. I have Peavey Mark III now and the noise kills me. Plus if the Sansamp is unnecessary because of the 750x's tube preamp, then why do so many bassist using Ampeg SVT 4 Pro's use Sansamps. That thing has three tubes. If I don't like the sound, I will sell the stuff. But I just don't appreciate people telling me I don't know what I need. Its really not all that much stuff when you think about it. Look at guitarists and all their effects pedals. Most of them are able to keep their tone. Thank you GreyBeard for the help. I appreciate it. Plus there is no Guitar Center around here where I am from.

~Patrick

17. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    What bassists use the SansAmp with the SVT Pro? Do you know WHY they use it? It appears that you're going to use it because someone else does. You're just making the marketing guys more money, and they don't deserve it.

There is no direct corelation to the number of tubes and how good something will sound. The Ampeg SVP has 5 freaking tubes in it, and it's notorious for being hissy. The Kern IP-777 has three and it sounds WAAAAAy better. The Alembic F1X has 1, AND IT BEAT THE AMPEG IN THE SHOOT-OUT!!! The Avalon U5 has none, and it's better than the three I just mentioned!! Your reasoning is all wrong. (I don't mean to be a jerk either, but I'm sure I'm sounding that way.)

If you don't appreciate people giving you advice, don't ask for it. I remember when I was 17 and knew everything. But oh well........ You're about to spend a ton of money. Go ahead. The economy's eeking by on the backs of the consumer, spending his hard earned dough. We might see a point or two spike in the NASDAQ.

Need to call my broker........

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Mail it all to me, I'll arrange it for you, test it out for a few years and ship it back!!! :D

19. In this instance, I've found what the majority says to be true. None of us can tell you what to buy, but there is great wisdom in buying your rig piece by piece. This is especially true if you don't have the benefit of a nearby Guitar WalMart with a generous return policy. I would suggest getting the amp first. Learn how it sounds and how to work with it. Then when you add the next thing, your familiarity with the original piece will help you to understand what the new thing is doing to your signal. If you buy it all at once, it will be extremely confusing. Heck, you haven't even bought anything yet, and look how confusing it already is.

20. There's a GC in nashville, ain't there? I used to go to Nashville every Thanksgiving and blow $3-500 on CDs @ Media Play and Tower Records....