1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help as a new bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jcotto92, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Jcotto92

Jcotto92

Jan 24, 2013
    Well I started playing bass in March of 2012, i bought an Ibanez GSR100EX as a birthday present to myself and wanting to teach myself how to play. After about two or three months of playing I put down for a while and haven't really started to play until recently. Since I've been playing more recently than I ever really have before, I've noticed that my hand feels slightly uncomfortable while playing and I was wondering if it could perhaps be because of Ibanez's skinnny necks. I want to continue playing bass, but I'm now wondering if maybe i choose wrong by getting a bass with a skinny neck. :/

Here is the link to the page with all the details on the bass:http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-GSR100EX

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If anything, I'd say it's easier to play on a skinnier neck. Check around (i.e. do a few forum/google searches) on some proper technique.

3. Jcotto92

Jcotto92

Jan 24, 2013
    Alright will do thanks.

4. You just started playing, so I'd say that the discomfort in your fretting hand could probably be chalked up to your technique. Try and identify exactly what the problem is, maybe have another bassist examine your fretting hand technique and see what they say about it.

I wouldn't think that a skinny neck is the issue; in fact, a skinny neck is usually better for beginners. But everyone's different, I suppose.

5. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Hi Jcotto92, glad you are reaching out to your TB brothers for answers. Let me suggest some advice as an advanced beginner.

First, I doubt the bass itself is the issue. Narrow necks are in many ways easier to play than some others. IMHO, the most important things to get are:
    1. Professional setup of your bass, and
    2. Qualified instructor.

Self-taught bassists exist (I have met several) but if you are looking to really learn the instrument, get a teacher. Your local bass shop should have a roster of instructors and can match you up with someone compatible. While you are at it, for around $50 give or take, the luthier there will get your bass adjusted properly.

If you like self-paced instruction, many here go for online lessons. Personally I like the Hal Leonard Bass Method by Ed Friedland. Book plus CD. Excellent. Ed is a TB member and you can find him on the General Instruction forum.

I followed the link. Looks good! Please post pics of your bass so we can stay on topic and avoid getting moved to another forum!! :bassist:

6. ^This, in addition to what I said before.

I've seen beginners trying to play basses that, by anyone else's standards, are completely unplayable... One of my friends that started trying to learn the bass asked me to take a look at his Pbass knock-off. The action was the highest I'd ever seen on a bass, due, in part, to the fact that the neck was bowed so intensely that looked as though it were trying to touch its toes...

7. Jcotto92

Jcotto92

Jan 24, 2013
    Alright thanks for all the responses, wish i would have signed up on these forums earlier. Here is a picture of my bass in its case, its not a great picture cause my phone is the only camera I have. I'll look into finding an instructor locally, I live in Central Florida so I might have to look around.

Attached Files:

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    You've learned the TB rule: No picture, no bass!

I DO urge you to find an instructor, especially at the beginning. The reason is that the best way to learn something new is to find someone who already knows how and have them show you. A decent instructor can just take a look at what you are doing and immediately know what is wrong and have you fix it. Just take my word for it, you DO NOT want to learn a bunch of bad habits that you'll have to "unlearn" later. SO much easier to just get the habit right when you start out!

9. Jcotto92

Jcotto92

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah I really want to learn properly instead of picking up bad habits, like I said previously I'll have to look around for an instructor since the only local music shop I know of in my area is guitar center.

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

This probably belongs more in "technique," since most likely your discomfort is a technique issue rather than a bass issue. Do take your bass in for a setup and have the action lowered, but also go to Chris Keuken's website - he's a TBer (used to be anyway, don't think I've seen him around in a while), and has compiled a lot of information on health issues related to playing. You want to be careful and not give yourself carpal tunnel or tendonitis.

http://www.chriskeuken.nl/

11. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I think even with proper technique you can expect a little bit of soreness when you are starting out. You are using muscles and joints in ways you haven't before, and it will take some time to adapt. I'm certainly not saying to ignore pain in your hands, though! Stretching exercises and technique work are your friend! :)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021