Need help asap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by armed mind, Sep 4, 2010.

1. armed mind

armed mind

Sep 4, 2010
  2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What two heads? Why the panic? What did you use last time?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    they're both fine heads. not the fanciest out there but they get the job done and sound good in the process. and yes, if they both run at 180w at 8 ohms, then that's as much clean power as they can pump through your cab.

4. armed mind

armed mind

Sep 4, 2010
    So is there no point in buying a 400w cab with a head that can only do 180, I really need something to be loud on a budget

5. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    just buy the one you like the sound of the most

6. armed mind

armed mind

Sep 4, 2010
    Should I try to find just any brand head that can push more than 180w instead?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    the more wattage your cab can handle, the better off you will be because it will be harder for you to blow the speakers. and doubling your wattage doesn't result in as great a volume boost as you might think it does. so it's perfectly fine to use a 400w rated cab with a 180w head. plus if you get a second 410 down the line, then you can use the head's full wattage and the extra cab will get you a way greater volume boost. if you plan on being super loud, two 410's are a much better way to go than a high wattage head into a single 410.

8. armed mind

armed mind

Sep 4, 2010
    Ya cause I've read that you're supposed to have double the amount of watts your guitarist does. So do you think that setup would be ok with a guitarist that does 160w?

9. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    I agree with Jimmy's post. The more speakers the more sound and volume is produced. If you already own the Hartke cab, I would go with the Hartke for a uniform look plus some manufactures tend to design their cabs to compliment their amps.

We all been there playing with loud guitarists and drummers to the point where we could barely be heard, that's the way it is with low frequency instruments. Yes it takes power, but unless you have enough speakers to disperse the sound, bigger power won't do the trick.

You should be fine for now. One tip to be heard more is to raise the cab with milk crates or something at least 3 ft off the ground which will bring the sound closer to ear level and reduce the low end coupling between the floor and speaker cab.

Ultimately,by adding one more 8 ohm 410 cab will make your amp more audible.

Good luck!

10. Sorry, but a 180 watt head going up against a guitarist blasting a 160 watt amp and a loud drummer is going to lose - badly.

You need speaker area to at least match the guitar player, and at least 4X the power.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021