NEED HELP BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by softballchickie87, Jan 13, 2001.

1. softballchickie87

Sep 3, 2000
    my first 2 frets are rattling and i have no clue what to do about it PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. what kind of bass?
    and what does rattling mean?

fret noise?
  3. softballchickie87

Sep 3, 2000
    its a squier p-bass and it just rattles when ever i play notes on those first 2 frets it just rattles actually i'm not sure if its the frets or the strings because it also rattles when i just pluck the strings with out holding down the string on any fret so anything i can get will help alot
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Lisa:, about the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have it tuned to standard pitch. If you get very much below standard pitch buzzes can be a problem. Use an electronic tuner if possible. If tuning doesn't help, the set-up will have to be corrected. I would advise you to contact the dealer that you got the bass from.Sometimes they will do simple adjustments free if you bought the bass there.

Good luck and welcome to T.B.

5. pkr2 just saved us all a lot of typing.

again good luck and welcome
  6. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    There is a good artical in Bassplayer this month that tell you exactly how to set up your bass.

Get it and cut the pages out & save them forever.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    It's also possible that you may be using strings that are smaller gauge than would be optimal for the way your nut slots are cut. If you know what gauge you have installed, try something a bit larger (if all the previous advice about use of the tuner to get to standard pitch doesn't help). Too, you may just need a small tweak of the truss rod...if all else fails, see a luthier in your area, or the store where you bought the bass if possible.
  8. Randy Payne

Randy Payne

Jan 1, 2001
    The first two frets??? That's a little odd. If it's just open strings buzzing, then the problem may be the nut is cut too low. If the neck is too straight, then you usually get buzzing on the first 4-6 frets, not JUST the first two. Maybe the frets are not level?
  9. softballchickie87

Sep 3, 2000
    yeah its really weird beause i can play anything under the first 2 frets without any rattling... so thanks everyone for the advice!!!!!!!!!