1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEED HELP! Buying a new Bass Guitar!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CReddick, Nov 29, 2006.

1. CReddick

CReddick

Nov 29, 2006
    Hey gang... I'm new here... I thought I would seek the opinions of the bass community.

I'm an old guitarist... mostly writing material in the studio at home. I've been writing a lot of electronic music lately, as i DJ around the Hollywood scene as often as possible.

I'm have horrible keyboard skills... when working on a new track, its way easier to pick up a guitar and play the crap that's flying through my brain.

So with that, I bring you, the requirements:

Preferably around or near $500 new.
    5 Strings a 'must'.
    Active electronics preferred (i think).
    Must look 'cool'.
    and absolutely has to be RED in color.

I'm open to brands etc... I'm curious what you guys think is a good value on the market.

i've got a few in mind, but i'd like to see what you guys/gals have to suggest first.

thanks for your help in advance!

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ibanez comes to mind in that range. check out the SR 500 line and the SRX 500/700s.

3. Welcome To TB! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!!

I would recommend looking USED. For $500 you can find a lot better bass than a new one. But if you must go used i would recommend

Yamaha RBX375
    Warwick Streamer Standard
    Ibanez (the one's mentioned above)

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    For your needs, I can't recommend Spector highly enough. But, don't be afraid to go used. I happen to have a very cool looking (and red) Conklin GT-5 if you don't mind going used (PM if interested). If you must go new, Spector all the way.

5. CReddick

CReddick

Nov 29, 2006
  6. I'd definately check out Traben too.
    www.trabenbass.com
    Maybe an Array Custom, or maybe a Phoenix (I dunno what price the Phoenix is going for right now though...) or a Tribal Sun.

7. CReddick

CReddick

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks everyone for their input... I'll certainly keep this all in mind for the hunt.

If interested, I can post a reply when I finally figure out what to get.

Thanks again,