1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help buying a rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AudicAddiction, Dec 7, 2011.

1. AudicAddiction

AudicAddiction

Dec 7, 2011
    Originally a guitar player, the only bass amp I've bought is a Ampeg BA-110 from a pawn shop and am pretty ignorant when it comes to equipment. The Ampeg was great for starting out, but now that I'm gigging frequently, I'm looking for the real deal. I dont even use my Ampeg anymore other than a stage monitor, and at practices I just run direct into our PA.

When I did use the Ampeg, I usually had the tone setting on 1 or 2 to get the more deep low ends. Im looking to really make the place rumble with smooth, warm, lows. Im looking to spend between $600-$1000 on craigslist or something, I just need to know what to look for. im pretty set on something rack mountable that I can add on to.

:help:any advise would be appreciated!

2. First advice get over the idea of "deep low ends". :) Second harmonic is what gets bass players heard. If you really have to go there look into Acme cabs, a good preamp and healthy PA power amp.:D Big power and dollars to match.

3. I grabbed a SVT350 and SVT410hlf for $400! (there is one in LA that is going for $650 obo) As for what you should get. Go to GC and try out different heads and find out what you like. Then look for a deal on CL

You cant go wrong with an Ampeg, And most GK's are reliable (They do have some lemons that supposedly wont turn on or some problem like that. But I hear its pretty rare. I even almost got a GK) But those 2 are going to be your best bet. Ampeg Cabs are going to be the best.

4. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    +1 here. You need to bone up on what works in a real world band situation or you're going to be disappointed with your new rig.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BA110 is a great little practice amp...definitely worth hanging onto for the little gigs and quiet jams. The SVT 410hlf is Ampeg's lowest low producing cab. While it's true you don't really need that kind of low end to get smooth big lows, some folks do like to hear it, and that's a great cab for it. I'd say get one of them and a head and you're in business. If you don't need to be super loud, though, you could get a PF115he cab, which has a ton of low end, not as much as the 410HLF but a lot more than you'd expect from a sealed 115. And even though they're not exactly rack mountable (they can be adapted into a rack, though), I'd take a look at the PF500. Insanely good sounding head for $400 new.

6. I can Vouch for the Ampeg Svt 410 Hlf it has great low end

7. +1 for the 410HLF for huuuuuuge lows. Just be sure you like the cab's other tonal frequencies. Tried a GK MB500/410HLF during a session once and found it lacking in the mids for my tastes.
    The lows are huuuuuuuge, no doubts there.

Another suggestion is Genz Benz 410-XB3. Not as huge as the HLF but still plenty big low end with more mid content. ~10lbs lighter too.

IIRC, settings 1 and 2 are low mids on Ampeg amps.
    EDIT: if it's low-mids you looking for, then Ashdown MAG/ABM410 and Hartke AK-410 can also deliver warm lows.

8. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    What I use is a Hartke HyDrive 410 along with a GK 700RBII. Got the Hartke for 300.00 used in excellent condition and I bought the 700RBII here on the classifieds for under 400.00. I wouldn't call it low and rumbly but it is has that cool GK growl. I used to use a MESA PH410 which defintely was voiced lower than the Hartke but it got old moving around a 100 pound cab even with wheels. The hartke weighs a little north of 60 pounds.

There are many good options in your price range and I'm sure you'll get some really ones from everyone here.

9. AudicAddiction

AudicAddiction

Dec 7, 2011
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I've got some amps to go try out :D