Need help choosing a 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xb100, Mar 29, 2005.

1. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys, I'm looking around to get another bass (3rd one) and i want it to be a 5 string. I already have a 5 string jackson but i just feel the need for another bass, I think i might have gas?

Anywho, I've got it down to 600$

I've looked at spector,tribute by G&L, ibanez, esp, and dean.

I really like the spector legend 5 looks nice, i also dig the L-2500 that tribute has i'd like it a blueburst with a maple fb. Ibanez has kind of caught my eye too, i like the btb 405q5 i played on one of those awhile back but i can't remeber of it to much. Carvin is also up there kind of pricey though. I did look at cirrus series peavey has, and the cirrus bxb goes for 600$ on

What do you guys think??

Out of all the basses i have listed i have played on the tribute and the ibanez.

Thanks alot.

Also wanted to add that i have been looking at laklands 55-01 i think it is.

Thanks again guys
  2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I think Lakland 55-01s go for around $650 street new. You could add a lot more really good basses to your list if you look into used basses as well.

Here's a used Lakland 55-01 deluxe (has quilted maple top -- adds a huge amount to price when bought new) on ebay for $650 right now:
    Lakland Deluxe 55-01
    Here's a sunburst cherry 55-01:
    Sunburst cherry
    Here's one in black:
    black 55-01
    I'd look into getting a used bass. For $650 you can get something decent. Aside from the 55-01 (which isn't nearly as nice as a 55-02 IMO), $600 for a new 5-string won't buy you anything really special, though if you shop around you might find something that suits you just fine. But in the used market, you could end up with something pretty sweet, especially if you're willing to wait for the right instrument to show up. :)
  3. BartmanPDX

Another option would be a Musicman S.U.B. 5-string -- if I recall correctly, they go for around $700 new.
  4. BartmanPDX

If you look in the for sale forum here on Talkbass, someone's selling a Lakland Joe Osborn 5er for $700. That's a really good deal on an incredible bass; possibly the best vintage Jazz bass tone you can get without spending $2000 for a real vintage Fender.

And it's a five string. :D

If I hadn't already ordered my 5-string Darryl Jones, I'd be ALL OVER that sucker. :bawl: