1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help choosing a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnelly13, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Brice HXB-406 Fretless

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Ibanez BTB Fretless

23 vote(s)
    71.9%
  1. gnelly13

gnelly13

Oct 21, 2013
    I recently was asked to play in a local deathcore band, but they want a 6 string fretless bass. I love playing fretless so thats a plus. I'm in a little bit of a hurry for the bass so I've limited it to two basses. The Brice HXB-406 Fretless and the Ibanez BTB Fretless. Both are wonderful basses from what I hear, but i need to choose quickly and I'm leaning towards the Brice. Any suggestions? Reviews on either bass? Comments? Help?

2. jfh2112

jfh2112

Jun 18, 2013
    Brookhaven, MS
    I have a Brice HXB-406 fretted. It's a good workhorse bass, well put together, considering the price tag on it. It's not terribly heavy, has a good sound IMHO. B string isn't terribly floppy. Action is pretty low. Wish it had a little more growl to it.

I've been very happy with it for the couple of years I've owned it. I play it regularly at church and nearly every day at home.

Here's a review thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1406/title/brice-hxb-406/cat/13

3. I think you might find that with the BTB you can get that nice drop kick your grand ma aggressive growl, and that chunky punch when you need it, that is so long as it has the Bartolini active pick- ups. The action is solid very solid, the low end feels .... tight, even when you use lower tuning. The only problem is you can some times get just a little hiss if you have the volume knob on the bass turned up. All in all pick what feels right in your hands.